Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Como te llamas?

My poor neglected blog. I guess I should find something to write about. This afternoon I've been scraping off paint and sanding a dresser we found on craigslist for the baby. That's why I'm now sitting down and I don't know if I'll make it back up for a while. Should be plenty of time for me to think of something to post about.

How about baby names? Finding a name for this baby has been pretty rough. Nothing has really seemed like a great option to us. However, now that we have about a month or so left until she comes, we have finally decided on some names that we both are willing to leave on the table. All of our other kids have middle names that have family significance, and I have been able to find scriptures that go along with the meaning of their first names. Well, the names we have been thinking of are family names, but finding a scripture to go along with the meaning doesn't seem to be going too well.

So, here's the list we've been thinking about. We are still quite open to any suggestions -- particularly any of you who know of some hidden family gems that we've missed. Seems like those are hard for us to come by. I'm sure Wilhemina and Artemesia were great women, I'm just not going to use their names.

Natalie -- that would be after Nate. Wouldn't it be great if this baby is as sweet as he is?
Lola -- my grandma, but this is actually probably off the list now because I don't think Nate likes it. It always makes me think of that song about Lola being a showgirl anyway. Not that my grandma was a showgirl.
Ruth -- my other grandmother, lots of our family have used this for a middle name but no one has given this as a first name. So I think that would be neat, but ... I don't know.
Joy -- my mom's middle name was Joyce, but I like Joy better. Close enough? Her friend that introduced her to the gospel was also named Joy.
Maren -- Nate's grandmother's name was Marion, and I think this is a pretty variation of that.
Alene -- I think this is a pretty middle name. This is from Nate's mom and grandma.
Rebekah -- No family history here, but Nikki might move out if we don't go with this one. This name was on our list for both Hannah and Nikki, but obviously we never used it.

Combinations?
Natalie Alene -- too long
Natalie Ruth
Natalie Joy
Lola Ruth -- oh wait, Nate doesn't like that one :)
Ruth Alene
Maren Alene
Maren Ruth
Maren Joy
Rebekah Joy
Rebekah Ruth Robbins -- too many R's?

Would any of these names scar our poor child? I don't know what to do. Maybe we'll throw them in a hat and pick one out. What process do you go through to name your kids?

11 comments:

JW and Alli said...

We go through a very painful process, too! Ruth is a great biblical name, I have a friend named Maren who is an awesome woman, Natalie is my dear sister. I don't have connections with the others, but it looks like you have a good list to work from. Don't worry too much - you'll have 2 days to stare at her in the hospital and decide who she is!

JW and Alli said...

How about Ruth Lola Robbins - both your Grandmas, and Nate can't complain if Lola is the middle name. :)

Kellee said...

Names are hard! They're all beautiful. Joe's mom always wanted a Rebecca Lynn and everytime one of her daughters/daughters-in-law were prego, she would remind us of that one. None of us wanted it. Don't know why she didn't :)

We like having a family name as a middle name. I tried to name Katherine, Ruth, but Joe didn't like it.

I can't wait to hear what you pick!

Kristen said...

Have I mentioned how much I love names and that I'm borderline obsessed with it? I actually think I might do a blog post about this, the more I think about it. :) I think there is a lot of significance in names, both in who (whom?) a person is named after and what that name means. I've really felt that with my own kids. So the name is really important to me. I also like to pay attention to how a name "flows" and how it fits with the other names in the family. Of the ones you listed, I love Natalie and its connection to Nate. I think that twist on gender is pretty cool when it can work that way. I really love the idea of using Joy after your mom and also because I think having a baby is a Joy. Not to mention, the hope that they will continue to be a joy. As you know, we have a Merry, who is absolutely every bit as merry as her name. So "Joy" really appeals to me. I love the flow of Natalie Ruth and I think Natalie or Rebekah is the best fit with the names of your other kids. Maren Joy and Rebekah Joy are way up there too, for combinations. I think you have an awesome list and have no doubt that you will pick the perfect name for this baby. Do you think it gets harder to choose a name each time? I kind of think so. I also know what you mean about how the other kids feel about names. Merry Grace goes by both her names (instead of Gracie) because little 2-year-old Ian was so adorable saying "Mer Dace" that it just stuck. And now I can't imagine it any other way. Also, I don't think a single name would scar this little one AT ALL. I even think the RRR is cute. Is this scattered enough for you? Its been a long day. Haha. :)

Kim said...

Naming a child. It's a big thing. Well, I must admit, I'm quite partial to the name Joy since it's my middle name, and it has a cool tie to your mom. That's cool. I've always liked it, b/c at those moments when nothing else seems joyful about me, my name is. It gives me something to live up to. I like it. If we ever do have another girl, that will be her middle name for sure! You've got a great list of choices. Good luck!

Kristen said...

If you go with Ruth, I think "Ruthie" is an absolutely adorable nickname. :)

Eileen and Chuck said...

Okay--here's my 2 cents! My mama was Ruth and that's my middle name. I think it's a great middle name, but a very adult first name for a baby. The only downside with Rebekah is that she will always have to spell her name--or have it spelled wrong. Did you see Kellee's post--Rebecca? And I've seen it spelled other ways, too. As an Eileen (which 9 out of 10 times is spelled wrong), that's was always a big factor in naming our kids. BUT, you don't want Nikki to leave home if she's NOT Rebekah! (There'll come a day when you'll get so tongue tied trying to remember which kid you're trying to call, you'll end up calling her #4 anyway!) Just look in her sweet little eyes and call her something that she'll thank you for, whether it has great meaning or not. (Sorry, that got to be 25-cents worth!)

julie said...

I always loved being #4. I'm not sure you need any more advise. I think they are all beautiful. I love creative names but I have found that many people have a really hard time with Ammon so we went really simple with Lucy. I think you will know when you look into her cute little face. If you don't know then, at least you will have to make an educated guess before you leave the hospital. :). When is your actual due date or due week?

Mike and Sherrie said...

This is Lydia Bass this is my true thoughts:

Rebekah is way over used and it's always shortened like becky of bacca

Alene is more unique i like the name Alene Joy / joyce Robbins it is very cute

Daisy ?? Daisy joy Robbins

Kayla lola ? Lucy Joy , Anna , Rose or Rosie , Phoebe






Mike and Sherrie said...

Erin

Anonymous said...

yeah, you could name her after me... totally kidding. I do like my name though.

I like your list. Not to partial to Lola though. I kind of would just repeat what Kristen was saying, so just refer to her comment.

I am getting very excited for you Susan!