Thursday, August 13, 2009

Homemade Granola and Granola Bars

For a while now I have been trying to fix a problem I first noticed in the grocery store. When I shop, I buy groceries for Nate and me and then I buy some things for the kids that I don't eat because they are not healthy enough. That just kind of bugs me. Shouldn't I be just as concerned about what they eat as I am about what I eat? Don't I want them to grow up enjoying healthy foods and making healthy choices? Meals aren't really a problem because there is no way I'm cooking two different meals. They've just had to deal with it and have learned to like pepperoni-free whole wheat pizza and grilled salmon, etc., etc., etc. But what about snacks? How do you get your kids to eat healthy snacks when they are used to other stuff? I don't think goldfish and cheese crackers are bad snacks for kids, but can I really call them healthy? Granola bars are healthy, right? Well, the ones I usually buy for the kids are full of high-fructose corn syrup and almost protein-free. So, is there a better way? I found a granola recipe that I really like, but the girls aren't big fans of just granola, so I went looking for a granola bar recipe that I could make. I found a recipe online and changed it up a little bit today, and they were really easy to make. I need to make a few more adjustments to it, or find a different one because they ended up a little crumbly. Tasty, though. Has anybody ever had success with making granola bars? I'll try those again another day, but here is the recipe I have for granola that I really like.

Homemade Granola
from www.everydayfoodstorage.net

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup water
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I don't like coconut, so I don't add it)
dried fruits, if desired (tropical fruit is good, raisins, blueberries, cranberries, cherries are all great)

Heat oven to 275 degrees. Combine brown sugar and water in a 4-cup microwave safe cup. Microwave on high 5 minutes, or until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, mix oats and nuts. Add the brown sugar mixture. Mix thoroughly. Spread onto 2 cookie sheets and bake for a total of 45 minutes or until golden brown. After 25 minutes, stir and put back in the oven for the rest of the time. When granola has cooled completely, add dried fruits.

5 comments:

Kellee said...

I have a recipe too. I'll e-mail it sometime.

When Luke started eating with us, we had to stop buying several snacks and boxed meals. I've noticed that if I only have fruit, carrots and celery, yogurt, etc., they will eat it and eat healthier. If I have junk food on hand, that's what they'll eat.

I used to squawk about how expensive fruit is, but I have a friend who said that her philosophy is that she may pay a little more at the grocery store for more fruit and vegetables, but less at the doctor office. I've also noticed that if I don't buy so much meat and cheese, I have money for more fruit and vegs. My kids actually prefer fresh fruit over snacks any day.

JW and Alli said...

This is so funny - lately Lexi has been asking about foods, whether they are healthy or not. She asked about Granola bars on the way to Raleigh this week; the kids don't eat them all the time, but maybe when we are driving long distances in the car. Well I told her that they aren't bad for you, but they aren't healthy for you either, I said they were ok to give you energy once in a while! I don't know - that was a hard question. Like you, I'm not a big fan of crackers and snacks, I don't care how much stuff they add to make them sound healthy, I still think they are wasted calories, just a little bit more convenient. Can't say I'm not guilty of feeding my kids these things, cause I sure am, but I do feel much better when they are eating healthy foods.

Kellee said...

I think granola bars are healthy if you use honey instead of brown sugar. Isn't honey healthier than sugar? Otherwise, it's just nuts and oatmeal. I'm sure the store bought ones have a ton more sugar than homemade ones, but I don't know for sure.

Kim said...

Well I have a super-yummy granola bar recipe, but I'm thinking it won't fit into the 'healthy' category. It does have some healthy stuff in it, but also the other, too. I typically tag it as a healthier dessert option. We love them for a special treat on trips. I'll try to dig it out.

Eileen and Chuck said...

This has to do with the bird's nest story--but I figured you wouldn't be looking to comments back there now. We went to a bird show at Dollywood this summer and were told that it is NOT true that a mama bird will abandon a baby with "human smell" on it from putting it back in the nest. She said Mama will just be DELIGHTED to have her baby back! So if one falls out, don't hesitate to put it back where it belongs.