Sunday, May 09, 2010

The Mothers in My Life





These are the amazing mothers that have had a hand in shaping my life. My mom, Eileen, Nate's mom, whom I had to include because my life wouldn't be the same without the love she has always given to Nate and now offers to me and our children, Grandma Bass, and Grandma White. Is there an adequate way to express gratitude for all that these mothers have given? I haven't found it yet.

And then Mother's Day is also a beautiful day because of these three precious children. What a privilege to be their mother. It's so humbling to see their unconditional love for me. So often I fall short of who they need me to be, but they still think I'm the best mom. Well, Nikki's card might have come a little closer to the truth this morning. It read: "From: Nikki   To: My Sweet Mom   I love you! You are the beast!"  

A couple of weeks ago Nate told me that he would take the kids to the zoo this Saturday, and I could have a free day to use that coupon for a massage I had and just do whatever I wanted. After a couple of days, I told him I actually wanted to go to the zoo. I didn't really want to be left out of the fun. But then he was out of town all last week. When he came home on Friday I told him I had an appointment for my massage and I hoped he and the kids had fun at the zoo. :) It was a great day! Usually when you go on vacation, by the time you get home you're ready to get back in the mix of things again. Maybe I needed a longer vacation because I  think I could go a couple of more days with no responsibilities. But then when I saw how tired Nate was getting into bed last night, I did feel sorry for him and know that I can't take too much time off. Running a family really does take two, and I am grateful I have a special role to fulfill.

5 comments:

Kim said...

I LOVED this post! It is an honor to be a mother. I am more than grateful. I also love the 'beast' comment. You've got to save that one forever! So funny!

julie said...

Nikki is so funny. I am grateful for the "mom's" in your life too. I sure miss all those moms. You are right. There are no words!

Kristen said...

I love this! You described so perfectly how wonderful it is to have great moms to look up to and how wonderful (and challenging) it is to be a mom. Sounds like you had a super relaxing day. LOVE it. :)

Kellee said...

Nice post. I love how you express yourself and your feelings. I can always say "ditto" after reading ones like these.

Eileen and Chuck said...

Thank you SO much, Susan, for letting us be such a part of your life and you such a part of ours. What an honor to be in your list of Moms. We love you dearly and will always be here for you! (But I WILL get you an updated picture with my hair grown back in!!!!!)