Friday, February 03, 2012

Dishes and more

Some women are dripping with diamonds
Some women are dripping with pearls
Lucky me! Lucky me!
Look at what I'm dripping with
Dirty Dishes

That's my new tune. I really do have more going on in my life than just thinking about food and nutrition, but I just have to say how thankful I am that Nate did the dishes tonight. My children do not each lunch or snacks at school. We are home for every meal of the day, and without processed snack foods in the house, I end up cooking three meals a day and peeling or chopping or something for snacktime as well. Okay, I got that out and now I can move on. 

Although, just one more thought on food. AGHH!! Do you know how many different ideas there are about what is healthy to eat?! No wonder we are fat and sick as a society. Where can you turn to find reliable information? Who is right when you can find an authority pushing just about whatever philosophy you can imagine? I will say, though, that the most common thread I have seen in all of my reading so far is to just eat whole, unprocessed foods. We don't eat enough fruits and vegetables as a rule. What kind of a mix of whole grains, lean meats, and dairy you add in are quite debatable. So there, I've learned a whole lot haven't I?!

I feel like I should move on to another topic, so ..... Happy birthday, Kellee! I watched all of Nikki's gymnastics practice tonight (yep, that's three hours in the gym for me tonight), and I really enjoyed it. It's no wonder she is so hungry all the time. They get quite the workout and she is focused the whole time. I love that I never see her laying down or complaining about what they ask her to do. She works so hard. On the way home tonight, she said she can't wait for Tuesday when she gets to go back to the gym! Hannah gets to register for softball tomorrow morning. I've never done this before, so I don't know if she'll actually do any kind of activity or if it's just signing her up. We'll see. She told me this week she is a little nervous because she doesn't know if she'll be any good at softball. After a little conversation she promised she would just go and have fun meeting new girls and getting some fresh air and exercise, and if she ends up being any good at softball then that will just be an extra bonus. She also decided today that she wants to learn to play the violin. I think that will be an excellent choice for her because I know nothing about playing a string instrument. I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut when she's practicing piano. I'm really just trying to help her make her practice time valuable, but I probably shouldn't. Ryan's new interest is in the days of the week. "Mom, what day is it? What can I do on Friday? What day comes after Friday?" etc., etc., etc. every day. Another homeschooling mom had a great idea that I'm going to steal. She said she is going to get plastic bins and label them with the days of the week, and she will put in different activities that her 3-year-old son can pull out each day to work on during school time. Brilliant! I just have to come up with enough good ideas: playdough, watercolors, puzzles, coloring, lace-up cards, Legos. What else should I include?

4 comments:

Brigette Little said...

That's why I am grateful for the Word of Wisdom. There is all kinds of financial motivation out there for people to push their own agendas nutritionally. Maybe that's part of the "evil designs" spoken of? I'm so grateful the Lord laid it all out for us ahead of time. :) Now to put it into practice... right? For me, that's the trickier part!

Kellee said...

It is hard figuring out what's right. Less meat, more fruits and veggies. That's what I've decided.

That's cool Ryan is curious about the days of the week. All Luke wants to know is "Is school done now?" :)

JW and Alli said...

I've done the merry-go-round a few times w/ what is healthy as well. I always end up going back to an Adam (as in Adam and Eve) diet. Stay away from the processed and stick w/ what God gave us. We are working on less meat as well. The only problem is that it seems when life gets busy, processed food sneaks its way back into my pantry! I guess the trick is keeping it out. It was fun hearing what your kids are up to. We don't see them nearly enough. :(

Kim said...

Amen to the food battle. I just started reading a new book that feels right (if you know what I mean). Elder John Widstoe wrote it. It's call "The Word of Wisdom" and it really explains the Word of Wisdom. So far, I love it!

Oh & thanks for the ideas of the bins. Your ideas sound great. I'd hit Pinterest for more.