Monday, June 12, 2006

Nauvoo, Illinois

We spent last week with Robin, Mike, JW, and their families in Nauvoo, Illinois. We missed Kellee, but it was a lot of fun having the rest of the siblings together again. We drove there and back, and the girls did such a good job. We set up Nate's laptop in the back seat so the girls could watch DVDs, and Nikki was in heaven. She would rather watch a movie than almost anything else. We got home Saturday night, and then we drove to Manteo (about 3 hrs away) on Sunday for my cousin Bonnie's wedding. When we were getting in the car after the ceremony to go to the reception, Nikki stopped dead in her tracks and screamed, "I don't want to get in the car!" I guess she had had enough driving, and I really couldn't blame her. I felt the same way when we got home that night.

Nauvoo was so beautiful. We stayed in a house that overlooks the Mississippi River, and it was absolutely gorgeous. The weather was perfect, hanging out with the family was a lot of fun, we had lots of good food, and it was really neat to tour the church history sites. We got a chance to attend the temple one morning, but I never did take a picture of it. It's one thing to see a picture of it and then a completely different thing to actually be there and see how beautful and large it is and think of the sacrifice the early saints made to build such a magnificent structure.

So, it was a really fun vacation, and I have just been exhausted today. I don't think we'll go anywhere for a while. Here are a few pictures from the trip.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

sounds like a really fun vacation. we just spent the week at a camp with cory's family & it was awesome. it was kind of rustic, but not primitive & the kids LOVED it. it was just nice to all be together.

Susan said...

I think just being with the family is always the best part of a family vacation. It really doesn't seem to matter where you go all that much.

When I finally got unpacked and started back into our normal routine, I just felt so tired. Like I needed a vacation after our vacation! =)