Monday, November 13, 2006

Our neighborhood pet



We have a dog that has been hanging around our neighborhood for maybe a couple of weeks now. No one knows where he came from, but he is the nicest dog ever. The neighborhood kids have named him Buddy. Almost every house in our subdivision has a dog (except for us), and he is getting fed by a few of them, and then there is one house that leaves their garage door cracked open for him to sleep in at night since it gets so cold these days. All these dog lovers can't stand to see him get hungry or cold enough to find his own home. I'm not really an animal lover, but I don't mind petting a dog every now and then. Actually, if we were going to have a dog I think one like him would be perfect. He's too big and stinky to even make it an issue as to whether to bring him inside, and he loves the kids. I was out staining the deck on Saturday, and the girls came out and played with him for over an hour. When he finally ran off to go check on some noise, Hannah pretended to be a dog for Nikki to play with. Then it was Nikki's turn by the time they came in for baths. So, while Buddy is a good dog, we could never keep him because he obviously doesn't like to stay in one place, he runs in the road, I would have to buy dog food and clean up poop, he would kill our grass, and he would cost veterinarian fees. I really like the girls' solution of just pretending to be the dog themselves.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

i think its so cute that you like a neighborhood pet. it strikes me funny because that is how cory is. he would think a neighborhood pet is a great idea! he likes animals, just from a distance. =) unfortunately for him, he's really outnumbered around here and has been suckered in to a dog, a cat, and a fish. lucky for us, he loves us a lot. and he even tolerates the pets. what a great guy!

Susan said...

Our excuse for no pets is that Nate is allergic to cats, and a puppy is almost as much work as another kid. So, if we could handle a dog we should probably be having another baby first. =) And I had a fish tank when I was about 12 that was on top of my dresser. I had a couple of small eels that hid under the rocks most of the time. I forgot to close the top one time (well, probably lots of times), and when I was cleaning my room I was pulling things out from under my dresser and found a dried up eel. I hadn't noticed him missing since he was usually under the rocks. I don't think I could handle fish again. I was pretty grossed out.