Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Aging

It has just recently hit me that I am closer to being 30 than I am to 20. I have about five gray hairs, at least that I have noticed. I guess it will be time to dye my hair when I can't count them anymore. I remember that I used to always want to see the bones and veins through the skin on the back of my hands because I figured that meant I wasn't too fat if I didn't have chubby hands. But now, I'm realizing that the veins showing through my skin is just because my skin isn't as young as it used to be. I can also see some lines forming around the corners of my eyes that someday will be wrinkles. I don't know if anyone else would notice them yet, but I do. I'm starting to think that we should invest in the lotion industry. I think every woman will at some point start to feel her age and reach for the lotion in an attempt to stop the effects of time on her skin. At least, I have. I like to curl up with my legs under me when I sit on the couch, but lately when I stand up afterwards they feel stiff and hard to walk on -- but then that might be because I need to lose weight. =) I also tried to do a cartwheel a few weeks ago. It didn't go so well and really hurt my pride. You hear people talking about getting older all the time, but this is the first time I have ever really felt it. I'm not upset about it. It just feels weird to think I'm starting to get older.

4 comments:

Kellee said...

I remember first noticing the lines. Now mine are more wrinkles than lines. Aging didn't bother me, then it did for a couple of days, then it didn't bother me again. I like to think I sound smarter the older I get...well, maybe. Here's to more wrinkles, veins, lines, and gravity all over!

Unknown said...

Hey Susan!
Love the blog and now you have everyone doing it! I drop in every now and then to catch up when I have a few minutes but have never had time to post a comment. I keep meaning to get a website put together for us but never seem to find time. Hopefully sometime soon! Tell Nate good luck with the job hunting and send me an updated resume if he gets time. I will send it around to my contacts for him and see what bites.
You're not getting older...just aged to perfection! Wait till you realize it is almost 40 not 30 you are worried about! Hope to see y'all again this summer if you are around. Once we get our plans firmed up I will let everyone know. Keep in touch and hope to see y'all soon! Love Dave & Kate Bass

Kristen said...

i found my first gray hairs when i was 19. i have to admit, it was a little devastating at the time. =) now its not a big deal--i feel like i've earned them. and it might be more that after three kids, i've got a lot more body changes to worry about than a few gray hairs! =)

i've noticed aging in small things--like not being able to nap or sleep on the floor without waking up feeling like the princess and the pea. we're the same age, and i have those little lines around my eyes. i don't think other people would notice them, but i can see them. its definitely a change for me. i'm beginning to rethink my beauty regimen.

i think what's the weirdest for me is to realize that 30 isn't really old at all! what a perspective change.

the thing about aging that bothers me the most, is wanting to feel like i've accomplished the things i want to. and most days i feel pretty good about. what i don't want, is at 30 or 40 or 80, to realize i haven't progressed, that i haven't improved myself. so i feel pretty good about where i'm at now, because i feel like i'm a better, happier, more self-assured person than i was 10 or 12 years ago.

Susan said...

Kellee, thanks for getting the family to blog together. I'm excited about it. And gravity sure is working pretty hard around here! =)

Dave, it's so good to hear from you. I would love it if you guys had a website. An engineering firm in Raleigh just offered Nate a job yesterday, but I don't know what he'll do. He has an interview lined up in Durham next week, and Spotsylvania, VA is supposed to be mailing out an offer to him. It's nice to have a few opportunities out there. Let us know when you'll be here this summer -- we'll be somewhere around.

Kristen, you're right about progressing through life. I think that's why I'm not upset about getting older because I don't want to go back to the old me that I was a few years ago. I'm glad I have grown some and hope to keep chipping away at my many character flaws.