Thursday, April 19, 2007

Nikki's Pronunciation

Nikki picked out a movie from the library last week called The Letter Factory, and she absolutely loves it. It goes through each letter and teaches the sounds they make. It's pretty cute, but the thing I'm so excited about is that she has really tried to pronounce all of the sounds correctly. She has a hard time with a lot of her consonants, especially her "k" sound. Since her name is Nikki, it's kind of important that she learns how to say it. Whenever someone asks her what her name is, they just can't decipher "Nitti." I took a language development class in college, and the professor said that you shouldn't correct children's pronunciations because as they develop they will hear on their own that they are saying it differently than you and will correct it themselves when they are developmentally ready. Any corrections you try to make for them will just make them frustrated and self-conscious. So, I haven't corrected her a lot, but I have been starting to think that she needs to get it right soon or she'll be in kindergarten with a speech impediment. So, with this video I think she has really started listening more to the sounds as she pronounces them. She recognized she wasn't pronouncing the "k" right, and she asked me do it. After watching me, she got it after a few tries. Then finally after singing along with this movie all week (and she has watched it ALL week), she came to me today and got it right on the first try! I was so excited for her. Now I don't feel so bad about her getting more movies than books from the library last week.

No comments: