Sunday, August 14, 2011

Food Storage Success


I've been teaching a few classes at church this month about how to use food storage. I've blogged before about some of my adventures learning to use it, and I guess because I have started using it so much it just seems natural to me now. It was a little surprising when some of the things I've been sharing were new to the people who came to my classes. I've talked about powdered milk and eggs, wheat and oats, and this week we'll do beans and rice. So, as part of preparing what I want to share this week I tried making a cake today that turned out very nicely. I used powdered milk, powdered eggs, cooked beans, and whole wheat flour. Everybody asked for seconds, so I'll count that as a success.

This is a recipe I got over 10 years ago and I just adapted it to use my food storage in it. That's really the best way to use food storage -- take the recipes your family already loves and add in your stored ingredients.

Banana Nut Cake
Cream:
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter (1/2 c. cooked white beans)
3 eggs (3 T. dry egg powder + 6 T. water)
1 c. banana pulp (2 or 3 mashed bananas)
1 c. chopped nuts
1 tsp. baking soda dissolved in a little water

Alternately add:
1/2 c. sour milk (1/2 c. water + 1 1/2 T. dry milk + 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar)
and flour mix (1 1/2 c. flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking powder)

Bake in a 9x13 pan @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
4 cups powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla and salt. Beat in sugar until smooth and fluffy.

4 comments:

Brigette Little said...

Our favorite new thing is using unflavored gelatin and water in place of eggs. Since I have an egg allergy, it works really well, stores well, and is CHEAP!

julie said...

Wow. I have a lot to learn. We just got a lot of food storage and are in the process of organizing it. Then I will learn how to use it. Sounds like you are the person to go to. I will keep that in mind!

Anonymous said...

What did you do with the beans and the cake?

Susan said...

Cooked beans can be a substitute for butter when you're baking, and pureed beans will substitute oil. It's a 1:1 substitution, so my cake called for 1/2 cup butter and I substituted 1/2 cup cooked white beans instead. It really works -- cuts calories and fat, and adds fiber and protein! The cake tasted great, too. :)