Thursday, March 05, 2009

Black-bean brownies


If they're almost gone they must not have been that bad. Nikki and I liked them. I thought they were better after they had cooled off completely than when they were still hot. Nate was really funny. He saw me pureeing the beans before he left for church, and when he got home he tried one. This was our conversation:

N: Oh, that was gross, huh?
S: What, you didn't like it?!
N: Oh, well, it wasn't that bad. I mean, I kind of liked it. Yeah, they were good.

HaHa!! I will never know what his tastebuds really think of these brownies. He thought they were gross at first because he knew they had black beans in them, and then he decided he liked them because he didn't want to hurt my feelings. So, someone else will have to try this out and tell me what you think. Just don't tell your family how you made them until you know what they think of it! All you do is puree black beans in a blender until they're kind of a paste. Then you take a regular brownie mix and substitute the beans for the oil. If you do a straight substitution they will be more cake-like brownies, but you can also just substitute half of the oil with beans and then it will be more chewy. But adding the beans instead of oil cuts out tons of fat and even adds fiber. I thought they tasted fine.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I will definitely try it and let you know. I love that it adds fiber and cuts fat. I made cookies last night that call for 2 1/2 sticks of butter, which is insane but also delicious. :) I told Cory, the more butter the better, except for the calorie part. Oh well. Nate is a sweetheart. Sounds just like Cory. I think I will try the half and half though, b/c I like chewy brownies better.

Kellee said...

I've never heard of beans instead of oil. Luke can't have beans, so I guess I'll never know...

Nate is hilarious! He's so sweet though. Joe would've had no problem telling me he didn't like them and I wouldn't have cared. Aren't we a pair? :)

julie said...

I can't believe you tried that. Aren't you the picky eater? I will have to try the substitute. But I could cook cardboard for dinner and Phil would tell me how much he liked it so I don't know if I will get an honest opinion either.

JW and Alli said...

I'm going to be real suspicious next time you make a desert for a family dinner. :) Good to know that the substitution worked and is edible. Thanks!!

Kim said...

I'm excited to try it out. I had some a few years ago, but my taste buds were tainted by the knowledge of the beans also. Josh would be excited--he loves healthy stuff!