Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Key West

 Nate and I took a trip to Key West a couple of weeks before Christmas. So beautiful!

 This is the view while laying in a hammock on the beach. Can there be anything more perfect in a vacation?

 Key West has roosters just roaming the streets. Kind of funny.
 Nate at the marina. My Uncle Bill lived in Key West for a while, and this picture reminds me of pictures from him. He lived on a boat and ran one of the marinas there. We wished you were still there, Uncle Bill!
Sunset on Sunset Pier. If I ever live in Key West I'll have to have a different hairstyle. I already look windblown without the wind, so when you add in some real wind -- whoa!

It was such a relaxing stay. We sat on the beach, ate some great food, went snorkeling, walked around the island, ate some more, walked some more, and rested on the beach some more. Perfect! We had people telling us all the fun exciting water activities we could do, but we just wanted to be still. One afternoon we rented bikes to ride around the island, and it was a disaster for me! Even with the seat all the way down, I still couldn't reach the pedals good enough. Starting and stopping were so scary because I was about to fall every time. At one stoplight we came to, I was turning right and was so grateful the light was green that I took the curve too quickly. I came within about 5 inches of hitting the car in the other lane. The driver gave me the most awful glare like I was trying to hit him on purpose! There was a whole line of cars sitting there watching me scream and make a fool of myself. Oh, I was so happy to get off of that thing. Next time, if they don't have children's sized bikes, I think I'll rent one of those bikes all the grandparents were riding that were glorified tricycles. Maybe I'll be able to handle that. We did end up laughing about it for the rest of the day, but at the time it was pretty traumatic for me.


Maybe the best thing that happened was that my sister-in-law potty trained Ryan while we were gone! I was planning on doing it when we got back, but she took care of it for me. Amazing! The funny thing is that we went on a week-long vacation just after we had started potty training Nikki, so they got to train her, too. I'm sure they are grateful we don't have any more kids! :) Thanks so much, Sherrie! He's doing great!

We can't wait for our next Caribbean getaway -- whenever that may be!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Except for the biking disaster, that sounded like heaven! I think the part I'd like most is to come home & have Wyatt potty-trained. Sherrie, we're bringing him out to you!! So glad you got a nice get-away!