Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Social worries

About a month after school started I began to worry about Hannah because she would come home everyday telling me that she didn't like playing on the playground. She said she ususally just hopped and skipped on the side all by herself. She is naturally shy, but to still call her classmates strangers after that much time I thought might be a problem. Then after reading for my class about how parents can help their children develop social skills, I thought I had failed and was a terrible mother. I suppose we all overreact to some things sometimes. So I have been paying more attention for the past little while every time she interacts with kids at church, neighbors, cousins, even Nikki, and then I had lunch with her on Monday at school. And not only do I think she is okay, I'm very proud of how well she can stand for what she wants. She is not swayed by what others are doing, and I think that is most of the reason why she often does her own thing. A few nights ago, a bunch of neighbor girls were playing with Nikki in the yard, and she came in to get Hannah to come play with them. After a while Hannah came back in and said they were all fighting over a ball and they were going to pop it. I assured her it wouldn't pop, and instead of going back out she decided she wanted to play a computer game. I know she was uncomfortable with their bickering, so she just removed herself. She is very unconfrontational and noncompetitive. She would rather leave than argue over what game to play. I also saw at school that several of the kids at lunch did talk to her, and she added to the conversation as well, so I know she can and does participate in social interactions. I think this ability to walk away will be great when she is a teenager! I hope it lasts.

3 comments:

JW and Alli said...

I think it will last Susan. I've always said that Hannah is naturally sweet. That is her disposition. It's wonderful that peer pressure isn't a problem for her. That really will be a strength as she grows up. What I'm astounded by is that she is noncompetitive - how in the world did she turn out that way with you and Nate as parents??? :) J/K She's lucky to have such great parents!!

Susan said...

HaHa! How can I be competitive when I'm likely to be bitten if I win? =)

JW and Alli said...

I've played games with you. I think you go by your Grandma's saying that there are no friends in cards. You aren't the sweet youngest sister when it comes to games. =) But, it wouldn't be as much fun playing if you were.