Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What do you think?

So, really these pictures are for my own good. I plan to come back often and remind myself that we really have come a long way on this house since we moved in. However, I do need some advice on my light fixture over the kitchen table, so feel free to just skip to the bottom if you need the shortened version of this post.

First, the kitchen cabinets. It's a bit ridiculous how long it took me to finish painting these, and add on top of that the fact that I still hate them and can't wait to replace them... well, I'm just glad this is done.

I don't think anyone who did not have the pleasure of scraping grime off of these cabinet doors with a razor blade and then sanding off still more grime can fully understand my loathing of these cabinets. Anyway, moving on!

The kitchen walls (which you already saw in the cabinet pictures, but I'm posting these anyway)...
I've been pretty wishy-washy on what I think of the color I painted the kitchen walls. The lighting in that room is terrible, so I need something light. But I'm just afraid of extending that color into the living room and then deciding I really hate it.

Now, I have to post a before picture of the chandelier I just hung up over the table. I thought I had a good picture of it, but this is all I can find. You can kind of see it on the left side of the picture hanging in the formal dining room. It was an ugly brass monster, and I wanted to spray paint it to have an antique brass finish.
(this ugly foyer leads me to posting this finished picture of it)

Okay, so here is a better look at the chandelier. This is my question: What do you think of this color? Well, I'm not sure the coloring on the computer will come out very well. This isn't exactly the finish I was expecting, but you know there are no labels on spray paint cans of what color it is. Looking at the tops did not help me much in this situation. I also bought some black spray paint, so if you think this is ugly feel free to say so. I have to take it back down anyway because I forgot to put the nut back on the chain that holds the cover up against the ceiling. And yes, I have to replace some of the lightbulbs, too.

6 comments:

julie said...

WOW! You have been busy. You may loathe the kitchen cabinets but they look GREAT. All you need is a dark back splash or paint color to break it up a little. It really looks good.

On my computer the dining room walls look white. Is it? I LOVE the chandelier. Black is classic but I like the antique look. It all depends on if it matches your table.

LOVE the entry way. Why do I like before and afters so much? You are super woman.

Kim said...

I see why you haven't been blogging lately!? You are amazing! I've been in my house a year & haven't gotten half the projects done that you've completed in the last few months, not to mention the the room still stacked with unpacked boxes!

I must be Julie's sister, b/c I agree with all she said. In the picture of the dining room, the walls look white to me too. You can go bold in there, b/c those windows will break it up & the trim will look sharp against it. Wow, on the kitchen cabinets! Like Julie, a dark back splash would look great. I think I'd go black on the chandelier, but that looks great too. Entry way...great!

Ok, I'll now end my forever-long comment here & go work on some of my own projects! As for you, go get a bowl of ice cream & relax!

Kellee said...

Once again, I'm no help in this area. But it all looks great to me too!

Susan said...

Thanks guys! Okay, I'm feeling better about the chandelier. Maybe I'll leave it the way it is for now.

The walls in the kitchen are really a light green -- okay, pale green. The kitchen and living room are shaded all day long, but the new light fixture gives a lot more light than what we had before. So, I'm thinking that I really could go darker. I know it has to be something different because I haven't been completely satisfied ever since I did it.

JW and Alli said...

After looking at the pictures I feel like taking a nap...that was a lot of work!!! I'm still trying to paint my Family room. You're quite ambitious Susan!

Brigette Little said...

I was going to say the same thing as Kim and Julie. A little bolder color in the kitchen, and those white cabinets will look fantastic. I think the chandelier looks good, but if you want a little darker finish, Ace makes a spray paint called "Anodized Bronze" which might have been the look you were going for. Looks awesome!