Wednesday, July 06, 2011

4th of July

I didn't get a single picture of our celebrating this week. But as I was finishing off my peach pie for breakfast this morning, I thought that the true test for me of whether my holiday celebration was any good is determined by the food. In that case, it was a great holiday!

Nate decided on Sunday that he was in the mood to grill, so he grilled some honey shrimp, corn on the cob, and fresh vegetables. So yummy! Then we had peach pie and liquid homemade vanilla ice cream. We were pretty much out of ice, so Nate dumped what we had in the bucket of our ice cream maker and added ice packs and bags of frozen peas and spinach around it. Didn't work -- but tasted great anyway!

Garner always has a big party and fireworks show on July 3rd in order to not compete with Raleigh's shindigs. We have really wanted to go these past couple of years but it's hard because it seems silly to drive about a mile in the terrible traffic and parking to get to it, but it also seems silly to walk a mile with a stroller and no sidewalks in 95 degree weather. When Ryan decided not to take a nap, we decided it wasn't worth it to take him. We laid him down and Nate left around 9 pm to walk with the girls down to the park. They camped out in somebody's yard and enjoyed the fireworks, avoided the traffic, and were home by 10:30. Perfect!

Our church here in Garner has a great tradition of having a breakfast on the morning of the 4th, and once again the food was fabulous, the company was great, and Nate even got in a game of tennis. He didn't have a water bottle, so a guy playing on the court next to them gave him one. He said he was an EMT and didn't feel like having to resuscitate Nate on the holiday.

Later in the day we went to Mike & Sherrie's and I got to see their new house for the first time, which is great. Had some more great food, and then we went out on the boat. When we saw three bright streaks of lightning come down together right behind the trees, we headed straight for the dock! There was only supposed to be a 20% chance of rain, but we sure got hit by the storm. It made for a great adventure, though. Of course when we got back to the house we ate again. :)

We got home late, and I just threw Ryan's pajamas on him and put him in bed. At about 5 a.m. I heard, "MOMMY!! MOMMY!!" I ran into his room, and he said, "We didn't brush my teeth!" What?! No matter what I tried to do, he would not lay back down or give up until I had taken him into the bathroom and brushed his teeth. He wanted the light on and I told him I couldn't turn it on or it would hurt our eyes. He didn't believe me, so I turned it on and after we were both blinded he asked me to turn it back off. So stubborn! About halfway through this escapade I heard from the girls' room, "Ughhhhhh." My feelings exactly!

Even if I did lose a little sleep because I didn't brush Ryan's teeth, I am still grateful for the 4th of July. What an amazing country we live in. I am just so grateful to be here, and I always will be no matter what happens in politics or our society. I feel very blessed that my ancestors made the effort to come here and build successful lives, so that I can have all that I do today.

2 comments:

Kellee said...

That's hilarious Ryan woke up about his teeth. My kids could care less about brushing theirs :) Well... Karoline finally cares. he he

Kim said...

Sounds like a great day. Ryan reminds me of my little 3 yr old with the whole teeth brushing thing! Too funny.

Looks like I have some blog-reading to catch up on. I'm excited to read more about the dressing your truth thing. You're beautiful, by the way!