Monday, September 05, 2011

Insanity

If Nate ever wanted tangible proof of how crazy I am, this picture is it. I'm getting new cabinets for our anniversary this year. What does that say about how romantic I am that I would rather have kitchen cabinets than the amazing vacation we could pay for with the same money? I also want new wood floors, so that means we get to install and stain our cabinets ourselves. Here comes another adventure! Getting the cabinets down was Nate's job. Those 23-year-old screws were so insanely hard to get out, I couldn't believe it. I also was surprised that the only thing holding up the cabinets are a few screws. I thought for sure they would be liquid nailed to the wall or something. We put a lot of weight in there!

We got a quote for custom cabinets, but I just couldn't do it. It feels like I'll never get my floors if we put that much into the cabinets. I've lived with broken cabinets for a year and a half, and I am just done waiting. So, I'm crossing my fingers that we can make it look nice and that we don't end up eating out for the next month because I can't find my kitchen!

By the way, last week was a great first week of school -- until Friday. I think it's kind of funny that we didn't even get five days in before complete meltdowns. The problem was piano lessons, and I think I'm done. They are going to someone else for lessons this Friday whether they want to or not. If they tell me I do a crummy job teaching grammar that won't offend me because they're probably right. But fussing at me over piano just gets a little too personal for me when it's something I love so much. I can't take it, and I just don't have to. It's really more about me than them.

7 comments:

JW and Alli said...

Hope you guys had a great anniversary. I think it says alot when you've been married 12 years and can call your anniversary present cabinets - to me its mature love. :) Really I'm saying that for myself as well - we didn't do anything romantic or go on a great trip this year either. We bought some very needed things for our family. Sounds like thats where we've both ended up in 12 years! Hope you had a great day! Let us know if you need some help. JW would love to assist I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

You are crazy! But that is why I love you! Okay, we really need to take a trip to Ikea soon, because I think you may want to go that route... There are a million ideas there.
I think you are smart pawning off the piano lessons. it will give them some much needed socialization (just kidding) ;-) ;-)

When are you up for a trip? Or, have you already got your cabinets?

Kristen said...

We're in the same boat. This was 12 years for us, and we got some food storage. :) Isn't wheat the new diamond? ;) I can't WAIT to see them. I'm sure they will look awesome. Let us know if you need help with anything. And it sounds like the piano decision was a good one. We have to pick our battles, don't we?

Kellee said...

I gave up teaching my kids piano long ago. A different teacher for piano is smart in my book. Have fun with the cabinets!

julie said...

I vote IKEA also. I LOVE that store. You can still spend a lot of money there. Have you look into habitat for humanity? Kim got her kitchen cabinets there for 1/2 what she found anywhere else. Or maybe I just remember it being half. They are BEAUTIFUL too. Good luck and happy anniversary.

Kim said...

Awesome gift! I did get my cabinets from Restore, a part of Habitat, for a great price. I can tell you what I learned about IKEA's cabinets if you want. We thought about installing ours as well...watched lots of youtube videos, then paid someone $500 to do it....well spent money for that point in my life. I'm excited for you! Happy Anniversary!

Eileen and Chuck said...

You are a hoot, Darlin'! I couldn't teach my kids anything but how to transplant--wouldn't even consider math OR piano lessons. Taking lessons from my daddy is why I don't play now--too easy to weasel out of lessons, etc. Hang in there, Girl. And happy anniversary! Still have the pothos you bought for the reception--did you notice? Love you!