Sunday, October 23, 2011

Our week

As soon as I find my camera, I'll try to make some time to upload a few pictures. I fell off the Halloween fun bandwagon this week, but we did fit some things in. Like the zoo, the pumpkin patch, and the Halloween train ride. I think all of that should make up for the other little activities we didn't get to. Or the ones that were flops like trying to paint acorns to look like mini pumpkins (the kids were disappointed it was going to take two coats of paint to get them orange and they lost interest before the first coat dried). None of the kids wanted my pumpkin pie, so I thought I would just wait to make it until there is someone around who will appreciate it (besides me and Nate -- I would probably end up eating 3/4 of it). I never got the corn husks to make the corn husk dolls I thought would be fun. But playing in the leaves was a great hit, as always.

Our new countertops are going to be installed this coming Tuesday, so Nate and I spent yesterday taking out the rest of our cabinets and getting the new ones in. It only required two trips to Home Depot. It's a good thing we know from previous plumbing projects where the main water valve is located in the house. :) When trying to unhook the dishwasher the pipe just below the valve snapped, and I think Nate was trying to catch the water with his bare hands for a little bit before he realized there was a bucket right beside him. At the time I was busy running to turn off the main valve, but now I think that is really funny. It was okay, the replacement valve only cost $10, and that is WAY cheaper than what a plumber would charge just to drive by your house. Speaking of leaks, I am happy to report that the wood flooring under the kitchen cabinets was not rotten when we took out the cabinets. I was worried because there was a lot of water damage to the cabinets, but the floors are okay. Whew!

So, that's our excitement for the week. Since I won't have a kitchen sink until Tuesday, the kids are excited to have cold cereal for breakfast, and I'm excited to have paper plates and cups. I'm volunteering to do all the dishes for the next couple of days.

4 comments:

Kellee said...

I wish I could've seen Nate trying to stop the water with his hands :) I'm sorry you're getting your counters in soon. I know how much you've enjoyed getting your utensils out without opening a drawer :)

JW and Alli said...

Can't wait to see the new kitchen! Enjoy doing your paper dishes! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah for you! It is getting done. We have decided to do most of the work ourselves on our unfinished space upstairs. Slowly and surely. IT will save us a bundle, and so far has been a lot easier than we thought it would be. My living room has a new look, you must come see it sometime (yes, new since Friday night).

Kristen said...

Oh, I can't wait to see everything! I know you are going to LOVE it. Is it just me or does it seem like forever since I've seen you? :)