Saturday, March 24, 2007

An Act of Love

Love is going to an organ recital with your wife even though UNC is playing in the NCAA tournament that night. Nate is so wonderful! We went to a recital last night by Dame Gillian Weir. She was an incredible organist, and she was also such an elegant lady. I really enjoyed watching her. She will be performing in the reopening of the Tabernacle in April. In the first piece she played I think she grew an extra couple of fingers because it just isn't possible to play that many notes at one time. It wasn't really pretty, but it was amazing. I wanted to sit on the front row so I could see her feet as she was playing. Wow! She is an older lady, probably in her 70's, but you would never guess that by watching her feet move.

We went with my organ teacher and his wife. At one point he asked Nate what his favorite kind of music was. Nate kind of thought for a minute, and then he said, "Classical Beethoven." I thought I would die laughing! He probably wouldn't even recognize a Beethoven piece if he heard it. He told me later he was trying to think of something that would impress my teacher and that was the only thing he could think of. It worked. He was impressed.

I had a lot of fun, and Nate said it wasn't that bad. He did say that he was just as lost when we were talking about organ stuff as I get when he tries to talk about GIS. I think it was so sweet of him to go with me. He survived, and the VCR taped the games he missed. So today he has been watching basketball all day. He deserves it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing your organ teacher didn't ask him more about Beethoven. His lie would have really gotten the best of him them. Jay and I both were cracking up as we read this. We love Classic Nate....Alli and Jay

Kristen said...

How sweet! That's a good man, although I know you know that. =)