Saturday, March 31, 2007

Around the house

This morning Nikki asked for Frosted Flakes for breakfast. When I put the bowl in front of her she said, "Not Frosted Flakes! I want bran flakes!" What?! She actually does like bran flakes but only when we don't have frosted flakes. It would be nice to make it through at least one breakfast without her dark side showing through.

I mopped the floor today. Isn't it funny how things always get spilled right after you mop? I was making waffles for supper and a drop of the batter hit the floor. I decided if that was the biggest mess on my clean floor then I was doing okay. Not two minutes later Nikki dropped a whole glass of orange juice.

Nate changed the oil in the car today. At least he tried. But as usually happens, it didn't work the way he wanted it to. He needed a tool to get the oil filter off, but he didn't have one that was the right size. Our neighbor next door who has let him borrow a couple of tools before wasn't home, and he walked the neighborhood asking if anyone else had one he could borrow, but no one did. He came back and looked at me and said, "Everyone else says they pay to have it done." However, he bought the tool at the store today, so I guess he'll be trying it again in a few thousand miles. Poor guy.

I just got some strawberry shortcake out of the oven. I can't wait to try it. It's the kind Grandma Bass always made. The recipe just comes off of the Jiffy box, but since Grandma made it, you just can't beat it. I put too much sugar in the strawberries trying to get them juicy, but that's one problem I can handle.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Its just right near impossible to keep things orderly and neat. We went through a stage around here that our evening meal was not complete until someone spilled their drink. (or better yet, shattered their glass in the process.) Life with kids is just interesting.

Yum on the strawberry shortcake, too. What is it about a Grandma? Certain things just cause me to have that warm snuggly grandma feeling: ponds cold cream (that scent is so nostalgic), diet coke, chicken cassarole, texas sheet cake....