Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

Today was a wonderful Mother's Day. Nate was just amazing, and he didn't even act like it was a lot of work for him to do everything he did for me. I got breakfast in bed, and he helped the girls pick out their dresses and get ready for church. I only had to do their hair this morning. Then he did all the dishes all day long. He cooked supper and even invited JW & Alli over to eat with us. He made brownies from scratch for dessert and they were really good. I have to speak in church next Sunday, and I while I was working on my talk this afternoon he took care of whatever the girls needed so I wouldn't be interrupted. He was just sweet, and I think the part of it that meant the most to me was that he never made a big deal out of his service. It felt like he was really happy to do anything he could. I married a wonderful man.

Of course everyone thinks about their mother on Mother's Day. My mom was just the greatest person. It's hard to even find the words to describe how I feel about her. I really don't know anyone that I look up to more than Mom. A child doesn't really understand that their mother is a person with a life and dreams of her own outside of her position as mother. When Mom died, I think I was just beginning to grasp the fact that she was her own person, and I was just beginning to see that she could be my friend. Sometimes I feel a little jealous of my brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, anyone who knew her longer than I did. I think that's why I love it so much to hear other people's memories because I feel like I can learn a little more about her. What words describe Mom? Service. Fun. Devotion. Strength. Integrity. Love. She was just everything I hope to become.

No comments: