Saturday, May 12, 2007

Nikki's swimming pool cake



For me, the birthday cake is really the biggest part of the birthday party. I thought this was a really cute cake and should have been pretty easy to make, but nothing I do ever turns out simple. I ended up making two cakes. The first one broke when I was putting the top layer on, and then when I added the jello to the middle it pushed the sides of the cake out. I thought if I propped it up and refrigerated it then maybe it would harden enough to stay together. That's what the bananas and apples are for. It didn't work, though. I even stuck it with about half a box of toothpicks. The second time worked much better. Nikki loved it.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm totally impressed with the cake. I've come to realize that while I have many talents, cake baking is not one of them. I love the neat cakes and I love it when it ties in with a theme for the party. I've certainly tried those myself. But they always turn out like your first cake. Always. So now we stick to cupcakes or go with something like elise did this year--Krispy Kreme doughnuts. How can you mess that up?

Susan said...

Oh, I like the Krispy Kreme idea!