Thursday, November 15, 2007

Is That a Compliment?

Let's think about this for a minute. Whenever someone has said to me, "Have you lost weight?" I honestly think they are trying to come up with a compliment. However, in my mind, that statement just does not work. First of all, if I had been doing the hard work of changing my lifestyle and getting in better shape, then the very act of questioning whether I had accomplished any weight loss is telling me that you're not really sure if there's a difference, which belittles the hard work I've done. However, I don't have 30 or 40 pounds to lose and after I leveled off after having my babies I never have had that much weight to lose. Sure, I would be very happy to be rid of a good 10 pounds or so. So when someone asks me if I've lost weight when I have still been eating ice cream and napping on the couch, I'm left to wonder what their mental picture of me is really like. How big do they normally think I am? Another "compliment" I've heard is, "You look great for having had two kids." What did they just say to me? I look like a flabby, tired mommy, but at least it's not as bad as it could be. If they are searching that hard for a compliment, it's probably best just to avoid the subject.

Whew! I feel better now. Sometimes you just need a little vent.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh, I am SOOOOOO with you on that one. I really believe most of the time people are thinking they are giving a compliment. But I agree with you. It sure doesn't sound that way. One of my favorites was one someone said to my mom. They said, "You don't look as bad as everyone says." I just laugh when I think of that. :) Oh well. I enjoyed your vent. :)

Susan said...

Oh, that one is terrible! Sometimes people just don't think before they open they're mouths. I know I'm guilty of having things come out the wrong way sometimes, but hopefully my compliments are actually nice most of the time.