Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Afternoon Surprise

When I woke up from my nap and walked into the kitchen this afternoon, I heard Nate and the girls gather up what they were doing and run into another room. Nikki whispered, "Hurry, Mom's going to see her surprise." I was going visiting teaching so I just left them to finish what they were doing and headed out. When I got home, Nikki met me in the garage because she was so excited to show me what they had been working on. They had each made little cards and written notes and drawn pictures on them for me, which were just sweet and adorable. Then they had set up a carnival throughout the whole house. Hannah and Nikki had come up with several different games. Hannah gave me a handful of plastic spoons and told me they were my tickets to play the games. We had paint the tail on the fish, a balloon pop, hang the monster on the light switch, a puzzle station, musical spoons, a sack race, storytime, a cartwheel competition (Nate and I came in last on that one), and we also played steamroller. It was so much fun. I just felt so grateful to be a part of our family. I love my husband and my children more than I can put into words. What a wonderful life we have.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That is so cute and sweet. I'm really impressed with the creativity. Maybe you got your wish from yesterday. :) I think it is those simple little experiences that really stand out in our minds. My folks were down for the weekend and yesterday after church we decided to paint these wooden bears that are part of an advent calendar. So my mom, the kids, and I painted, glued, and decorated for HOURS. Somewhere in the middle of things Elise said, "This is a really fun day. This is probably the funnest day of my whole life." Amazing. Don't we have great families? I'd say we're pretty "lucky" gals. :)

Susan said...

It is wonderful how they enjoy the small moments. They really can be some of the most important times together.