Sunday, December 23, 2007

Charity

Our Relief Society lesson today was based on Elder Wirthlin's talk this past conference entitled, "The Great Commandment." We had a really good lesson, but with a talk like that how could it be otherwise? I absolutely loved this talk about charity. I was rereading it this afternoon, and it made me think of Nate.

Elder Wirthlin said, "Sometimes the greatest love is not found in the dramatic scenes that poets and writers immortalize. Often, the greatest manifestations of love are the simple acts of kindness and caring we extend to those we meet along the path of life."

Nate gives that kind of caring and kindness all the time. To those outside of our family and especially to us. Everyday he does these little things that he doesn't think are a big deal, but I know I don't do as many things for others as he does. On Sunday afternoons, he comes home and lets me take a nap while he plays with the girls for hours. They are always so excited to see him get home, and so am I! Usually when I ask if the dishwasher is clean or dirty, he'll give me a response something like, "It's empty. I just unloaded it." So wonderful. The Family Proclamation says that we are to work together equally to fulfill our duties, and I often have to stop and make sure I'm giving as much in our home as he is.

And I really don't know anyone more friendly. It's interesting to me because he's not naturally outgoing or really comfortable talking a lot to other people, but he does it. At church, I'm always looking around the chapel before the meeting starts wondering where is, and usually he just takes a long time getting to his seat because he is speaking to everyone he passes in the hall. He makes cookies for our neighbors and the families he hometeaches more than I do. He is so wonderful, and I am so blessed to be married to him.

No comments: