Monday, December 03, 2007

A good whole wheat bread recipe

While I have my recipes out, I just got a new one for whole wheat bread from my mother-in-law, too. I haven't made it yet, but she had some for us while we were at their house and it was delicious. It was very moist and not too heavy. She said she usually halves the recipe, which looks like a good idea to me.

8 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. yeast
3/4 c. gluten
Mix a little until yeast is mixed throughout flour, then add:

6 cups hot water. Mix this together for 1 minute with a mixer or constant stirring, then let the mixture sit, with a cloth/lid over bowl, for 10 minutes. Then add:

2/3 c. oil (3/4 c. if not using gluten)
1 cup honey
2 Tbsp. salt
Mix a little and keep mixing while adding:

6 more cups of flour. After flour is in, mix for 6 minutes on low, or knead for about 15 minutes. Sometimes the dough will end up stickier than other times depending on humidity, etc. I always use the same amount of flour (14 cups) and it works out fine. Turn oven onto lowest setting (170 degrees) and spray bread tins with Pam. Divide into 5 loaves for 8 inch pans, or 4 loaves for 9 inch pans. Arrange all pans in the oven and set timer for 20 minutes. when the timer goes off, turn oven up to 350 degrees and bake for 32 minutes longer. You do not need to open the oven or anything, just turn it up and reset timer. When the bread is done, take it out and immediately remove from pan and lay sideways on a clean dishcloth. Let cool for about 40-60 minutes.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Are you good at making bread? My dad is so great at it. He's been making homemade sourdough for 20 years. He started when my mom was pregnant with my brother because it sounded good to my her, and just never stopped. I've tried to make it several times, but with his bread as my standard, no matter how good mine turns out it never lives up to his. :) I hope this isn't a really obvious question, but how/where do you buy gluten? I don't think I've ever used it before.

Susan said...

I'm not that great at it, mostly because I'm too lazy to do it very often. And I actually don't know where to get gluten. I remembered it the other day when I was on the bread isle in the grocery store, and it wasn't there. I thought about going to look back down the baking isle, but that would have taken too long. I need to ask my mother-in-law. I'm pretty sure she got it from a regular grocery store.