Tuesday, March 23, 2010

House pet, anyone?

This is just wrong. I picture in my mind a pest control commercial that shows an animation of bugs crawling into your house leaving their germy footprints wherever they go. So, that's extra dishes for me to wash now. I was tempted to empty the whole drawer into the dishwasher. Not to mention that I will definitely be even more on the lookout upon opening drawers and cabinets in the future. My potholders are in the drawer below this one. I'm really not in the habit of checking for spiders before I stick my hands in them, but maybe I should be. These spiders are all over the house. They actually blend in pretty well with wherever they may be, so I don't really see them that often. However, that's a two-sided coin because while I'm glad they aren't in my sight all the time, it creeps me out to think about what's lurking where. They don't move very fast, so I guess it could be worse. In all of our previous houses, we have just sprayed our own bug spray for any kind of pest other than termites. This time we might be in a little over our heads. We have opted to go for the full shebang service contract for at least this first year. Bug man will be here in two days! He can't come soon enough!

5 comments:

RNR said...

ok, you know that deck behind my house and that i live against the rocks? underneath the deck was infested with black widows (reminded me of paradise greenhouse) and they were all in our garage and at the front door. spiders of all kinds were so bad in my blue house in Lehi that we got in the habit of shaking out our shoes every time we got ready to put them on- i had to put shoes on just to go to the bathroom in the night because that's when they all crawled around. Both places we talked to exterminators and hired them to hit it hard, it takes one year to eliminate them because the first two times kills the spiders but then they have to kill all the ones that hatch that have been laid in sacs by the first ones. both places, we have gotten rid of them and rarely see any spiders at all- but you have to keep up the spray-the money for a good exterminator is well worth it!!! love your house, i'm so jealous!!

Susan said...

Robin, I have thought of you a lot these past couple of weeks! I remember that blue house was crawling with spiders, and you handled it so well! If you can do it, maybe I can too. I can't wait until we rarely see them anymore.

Kellee said...

Maybe that's the kind of house pet that Kim's been looking for for Jayden! You should send it to her and see :)

Hope the bug man works!

Kim said...

No thank you, Kel!! We have 60,000 bees in the backyard. That's going to have to fill the pet order for now.

I think spending the money will be well worth it to rid your house of spiders. We did that in Arizona after finding a scorpion in Jayden's room. So creepy!

Kristen said...

Oh, spiders are so creepy. We have these things called camel crickets that get into our basement. My Grandma calls them jumping spiders. I would find them in the laundry room when we first moved in. I'd pick up a shirt, only to have that dang bug hop out and scare me half to death. Thankfully the pest control has pretty much ended the camel cricket problem. Occasionally I still find a dead one in the basement, but that is much better than several live ones. Hope you get the spider problem exterminated!