Sunday, August 29, 2010

15-Minute Makeover


Well, taking down the wallpaper in the kitchen led to texturing and painting the walls. But after that I didn't walk into my kitchen feeling like things were fresh and new enough, so that led to taking down the nasty chandelier. I haven't decided what chandelier I want to put there yet, so I just temporarily installed the fixture that will eventually go in the living room (when I pick out the chandelier I want). But that still didn't produce a nice enough feeling in the kitchen because I still need to paint the trim, and then I realized that it never would be enough because of my awful cabinets. SO, I'm now in the middle of painting the cabinets in the kitchen, and I think it will make me feel really good to have it done. I would feel great if I could just replace the cabinets, but the voice of reason has finally won in my mind and I'll paint these and wait for a couple of years for what I really want.

All of that, just to explain why I needed a quick project to make me feel like I actually accomplished at least ONE thing last week. Okay, I'll admit this really isn't finished either because I want to paint the fireplace a dark brown... when I'm finished with the kitchen. :) You know, I haven't completely finished a single room in this house yet. I think maybe some of Hannah's ADHD is either rubbing off on me, or she got it from me!

Anyway, I wonder if you can even see the difference in these before & after shots!


Can't see it? Well, I painted the screen in front of the fireplace. I think these pictures just illustrate so clearly how much decorating help I need! What am I supposed to do with all of those cords? (Get rid of the TV!!) I'm hoping the dark brown will hide them a little bit.

5 comments:

julie said...

I will admit I had to read it to find it but now that I see it it looks GREAT. I think the brick painted brown would look awesome with the white mantel and crown molding. As for the wires, they do have wire organizers/covers. You can get them at Lowes type stores and office supply stores. Good luck and I can't wait to see more!!!

Susan said...

You think I should keep the mantel white? I was thinking maybe I should paint that black. Which would be better?

Kellee said...

I'm the worst in decorating so I wouldn't have a clue but I love seeing more little peeks at your house and what you're doing wth it.

julie said...

I think I would leave it white then if it looks bad go for the black. Aren't you thinking of painting the brick brown? I think the white and brown combo will look sharp and classy. Just an opinion though.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were neighbors. It would be easier to give advise I think.

Susan said...

I don't think I would put brown or black, I would remove the brick and put stone instead.

Hannah