Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Some lessons are hard to learn

I'm supposed to be writing a talk right now for Sacrament meeting and I was reading through some letters from my mom to my brother when he was on his mission. I'm supposed to be talking on our pioneer heritage, so I thought I might find something in them that I could share about my mom.

I should preface this with the fact that we were asked two weeks ago to speak. Nate was pretty slick, though, because when we were first given the topic he asked me what my thoughts were on it. I shared what I had been thinking, and then within three days he had written a beautiful talk expounding on my ideas! So, since it's now a few days away from when I'm supposed to speak, I thought I would try not to procrastinate too much and get started on writing something down.

I came across this paragraph Mom had written in a letter:
May 5, 1992 -- "Susan has a science project due tomorrow and just started on it yesterday. She was supposed to experiment on different kinds of water on plants, like mineral, tap, and salt. She had all the materials for about three weeks, but has delayed doing it. Now she will have two days to do the experiment. I told her she must tell the truth on the procedure and results. She is not too happy about it. She may not make a good grade, but at least she will be honest -- maybe that will count for something with the teacher."

I laughed so hard when I read that. Maybe I learned a lesson in honesty, but I don't think the one on procrastination has sunk in too well, yet. Although, this time I have started preparing 4 days out instead of just 2!

*******

Oh, I just found another funny one! --  December 22, 1992 "We are putting the finishing touches on Christmas. The kids are out of school now and are "doing their thing." Kellee cleaned her room yesterday -- it looks great. You wouldn't believe Susan's. I am going to get a picture of it. Can't even open the door. She didn't want to sleep in her own bed last night -- probably because she had to clean so much mess off it."

Wow, I really haven't grown up yet! Good thing Nate didn't read this stuff before he married me!

7 comments:

julie said...

That was awesome. She is still teaching...

Kristen said...

Greatest. Post. Ever. :)

Kellee said...

Ha ha!!!!!! I have proof of the room on video a couple of years later :) I always did the same thing with science projects too. Mom was so nice and would stay up past midnight helping me write papers or whatever even though I had put it off too. Old habits die hard I guess.

Anonymous said...

This is so funny Susan.

Eileen and Chuck said...

Okay--so now tell us about the talk. I'm dying to hear it.

Kristen said...

I don't know what Susan will say about her talk, but I will tell you that it was fabulous. It was thoughtful, tender and inspiring. I loved it! :)

Susan said...

Thanks, Kristen! I just finished typing it up -- it took a while to actually get it into real sentences. I hope I represented her well enough, she is pretty incredible!