Monday, July 09, 2012

Star Wars & Peanut Butter Balls

The other day at the dinner table Nate and I realized that our girls have never seen Star Wars. So we started telling our favorite lines and scenes, and tried to impersonate the different characters (the best of course are Yoda and Chewy). We had a lot of fun, but our kids thought we were a little crazy. On Saturday Nate took the kids out and came home having rented all of the original three episodes. I really don't think I've ever seen more than the first 20 minutes of Episode IV, so that was our family night activity tonight. It was a lot more interesting than I remember it as a kid. My parents had VHS copies of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi that I watched thousands of times growing up, so I'm excited to see Empire Strikes Back tomorrow with the kids.

For our family night treat we ate peanut butter balls while watching the movie. That has become our go-to treat lately because Nikki can make it all on her own while I take a nap on Sunday afternoons. Talk about the fruit of my labors! I know everyone has a recipe for them, and this is the one we use. Sometimes we add the chocolate and sometimes we don't.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

Stir 1 cup powdered sugar with the cocoa powder. Mix in all other ingredients. Form into balls and roll in remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Refrigerate any leftovers.

3 comments:

Kim said...

mmmmm....that sounds yummy!

Kellee said...

I just saw a recipe I've had for peanut butter balls but I wasn't sure if they'd be good. I'll have to try it now. Adding the chocolate sounds really good!

Star wars! We are huge fans here. It's been a little while since we watched them though. I love the little Ewoks the most :) I can't help but love the older ones over the newer ones still.

julie said...

I say leave the chocolate out and dip them in melted chocolate. YUMMMM. I am so far from the "wathcing-Star-Wars-with-my-kids" phase and the "you-go-make-the-treats-while-I-nap" phase of parenthood. I'm sure it will come one day. Until then I will just be jealous of you!