Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Lightning

This past Monday morning we were all sleeping in a little bit, since Nate didn't set his alarm clock, when the biggest thunderstorm came through. Lightning struck our house, and I didn't know you could jump straight up from a laying down position -- but that's exactly what I did! The girls called it a big pop, and I think that is a good description of what it sounded like. It was soooo loud. All of the smoke detectors went off for about 5 seconds, just long enough for me to worry about how we would stay sane while going around trying to disconnect them all. Thank goodness they all stopped on their own. The girls were pretty shaken, but we were very grateful that everything was okay. Our internet connection was the only thing that was fried. So, I guess we were really lucky. We had electrical storms throughout the day, and I must say that I really like them. They are so pretty and almost soothing to me. Well, it wasn't soothing that morning, but once everything calmed down I enjoyed the storm again. I would say that now we don't have to worry about getting struck by lightning since it never strikes the same place twice, but I remember Sweet Home Alabama. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that had happened. I'm glad you were all right. Last year a house just down the street - where Vail meets the road you turn down to get to the Kenney's old neighborhood - was struck by lighting and burned almost to the ground!! No kidding - I saw it the day after it happened and pretty much all that was left were the brick walls and some of the interior walls. A very sad sight. Count your blessings! :)

Susan said...

I remember seeing that house. I didn't know the fire was caused by lightning. How scary! Yes, we were very blessed.

Kristen said...

i love thunderstorms, too. there is something so peaceful about them. we had a bad one monday night. not quite as dramatic as yours, though! there was one boom that was so loud the house shook. i've had that happen something like that before, but this was much stronger. for a second i wondered if we'd had an earthquake, that's how much it was!