Sunday, April 09, 2006

loading trucks

As we were growing up working in the greenhouses we used to get so frustrated with the other high school kids that were hired on for the summer. It seemed like they were always such wimps. One task that we all had to help with was loading the trucks with flowers that had been ordered and were being shipped out. It was dirty, hot, tiring and just plain hard work. We would joke that when we got married it would have to be to someone who could load a truck. Well, this Saturday I cut our grass for the first time since we've been in this house, and I was a little worried that I might not be up to loading trucks anymore. Granted, we have a cheap push mower that ate a lot of dust last summer when we had a little grass and lots of dirt in our last yard -- it kept coughing at me whenever I hit a thick patch of grass. And our lot now is about 3/4 of an acre. But still, my hands now have a line of blisters across my palms, and when I got done cutting the ditch bank I thought my legs weren't going to hold me up anymore. I couldn't help but laugh at myself and think what a comfortable life I'm leading. Things certainly are different for me now than they used to be when I was the daughter of a truck driver (that was my mom, not my dad =}) and the girl who didn't know what her fingernails would look like without dirt under them.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

isn't that a great feeling to be tired and sore, though? its not even that what you did was "fun", but its just that sense of accomplishment that you did something hard & effective. i love it!

i sooooo need to get out in the yard and do some weeding & mulching and planting. i love doing that stuff, but this year i'm behind. could have something to do with having a 2-month-old...=)

your mom sounds like quite the woman! =)

Susan said...

While I was in the middle of cutting the grass I thought about taking back when I told Nate that I wanted to be the one to cut the grass this summer, but when I finished I knew that I would keep my word because it did feel really good to accomplish it. And I want to do it faster next time.

My mom was amazing. I doubt she would call herself a truck driver -- she was really part owner of the nursery business. But she did drive the trucks whenever needed to deliver flowers, and it was really something to see a 5'2" woman take on something like that. I always feel like I'm in a tank if I even just drive a van!