Wednesday, April 19, 2006

my brown thumb

I had to take a picture of this flower bed before it all turned brown. I planted some tulips in there a couple of weeks ago, and they were the first to die. I just replaced them with these pansies that I thought were going to be a variety of colors, but they are all purple. At least I kept them alive long enough to see them bloom! If I keep the bulbs of the tulips and plant them this fall, will they grow next spring or are they just dead now? I must be a disgrace to my parents and the Littles. How did they keep greenhouses FULL of plants alive when I have a hard time keeping a couple of flower beds going? While I was working in the greenhouses I used to say that I would have a landscaper do the job if I ever wanted flowers in my yard. I thought that would be because I wouldn't want to mess with flowers anymore -- little did I know that I would need a landscaper because I can't grow anything on my own!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

sometimes that happens! for the most part i've had pretty good luck with the flowers i've planted. but i don't branch out too much. my mainstays are petunias. they have never let me down! i once had good luck with impatiens, but only because i had a great spot for them. they seem to be a little more finnicky as far as sunlight & shade go. i also have mums that have done well & i planted some snapdragons last fall and they survived the winter. i don't think that is typical, but maybe the warmth of the winter was the trick. they look great, whatever the reason. i've only planted some petunias so far this year. we have two cute planter boxes in the back yard where i planted them. but i don't think they're going to thrive this year. that's mainly because the kitty thinks the flowers are entertaining & the kids think it is their duty to play with her as they all three tromp through my flower bed. =) i hope yours turn out better! maybe your green thumb is just dormant this year!

Susan said...

My thumb never has been green, but I'm not going to quit trying. Petunias are a good idea. I think I will plant some in my other beds that are a little bare. I was also thinking about adding some day lilies. I was really lucky in that almost everything the previous owner of our house planted has come back up. So, I really shouldn't complain since I don't have too much work to do. If only I could remember to water consistently ... =)