Thursday, February 07, 2008

My Crazy Husband

Nate is so funny when he is asleep. He is always muttering something, and I wish I could see a video of his dreams. Last night we were both dead asleep when I wake up to hear him rattling around with something on his nightstand. The next thing I know, he rolls over and hands me his lamp and then rolls right back over and is sound asleep again. What?! I left it right on the floor beside my side of the bed because I know tonight when I tell him about it he won't believe me.

My favorite of Nate's nocturnal episodes happened just a few months after we were married. He scared me to death in the middle of the night when he jumped up and started searching for something all over the bed. Then he starts talking this crazy nonsense, "Where's my dentures? Call the dentist! Where's my dentures?" He felt all over my face, under my pillow, all through the blankets, and I was just so stunned I don't even think I could move. Finally, he found his retainer that had fallen out of his mouth onto his pillow. He put it back in and layed back down and was asleep the whole time. I certainly wasn't asleep anymore!

I know some women say they get up with their children in the middle of the night because they know their husband has to get up the next day and go to work, so they don't want him to miss his sleep. I certainly don't feel that way. My sleep is just as important as his, but I get up in the middle of the night when the kids are awake because it is just so much easier to take care of it myself than wonder what world Nate is functioning in at the moment. =)

2 comments:

JW and Alli said...

I've never heard that story before. I can only imagine it. Very funny!!

Kristen said...

That is hilarious! He sounds a lot like Cory. When Cory & I were dating I called him one night. When he got on the phone, after my greeting, I asked what he was doing. "Buying legs," he replied. After several minutes of bizarre conversation, it turns out he'd been sleeping and my call had awoken him, just not completely. He'd been dreaming about needing to buy table legs to replace the ones that were broken. Several times something similar has happened over the years. It always makes me laugh.