Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Rambling on ...

So I thought the chocolate theme for the blog was a little appropriate since I feel like my days revolve around food, and of course chocolate is the king of all foods. Before I go anywhere I have to think about the last time I ate and try to figure out how much longer I have before I'll need something else to eat. I can't seem to make it through church without a snack. Nikki is loving that, and I let her share with me so that it looks like I brought it for her instead of myself. I think I have been craving lasagna and oranges the most -- not at the same time. Lasagna, spaghetti, BBQ chicken, burritos, mmm.... they all sound good. There really hasn't been any kind of food that makes me sick, I just want to eat it all. Just about every night after the girls go to bed I'll eat an orange. I love the smell of oranges. It's funny how any strong smell makes me gag except for oranges. What is the medical reason for pregnant women having an increased sense of smell, anyway? I've had to buy a new kind of hand soap and laundry detergent because the kinds we had been using were making me sick. I also got Nate a different kind of shampoo and deoderant that just didn't have as strong of a scent. I remember my band director in high school mentioning that he didn't wear cologne. When I asked him why, he went off about how we already have so many scents on us from our soap, to deoderant, to shampoo, to hair gel, to laundry detergent, to lotion, etc. He didn't want to add cologne on top of that mix. At the time I thought he was crazy, but now I think he was a really smart man. Why do so many women feel like dressing up for church includes adding an extra dose of perfume to the mix? Last Sunday I almost spent Sacrament meeting in the foyer except when I went out there, there were too many loud kids to hear the sound from the speakers. So, I went back in the chapel and Nate passed me some cinnamon candy, which helped while it lasted, but I was just being bombarded by the scent of the people in front of me. Anyway, I think those leftovers in the fridge are calling my name about now.

5 comments:

Kellee said...

I remember getting sick around Joe's smell when I was pregnant with Karoline. He hasn't worn cologn since. I've never liked perfume on me. That's great you can eat though. I'll take a sensitive nose over not being able to eat!!

Susan said...

I agree! I really shouldn't complain because I know it could be lots worse. I'm very lucky to have nice pregnancies, and my other deliveries were great, so I hope this one will go well too.

Kristen said...

Susan, I think we might be "pregnant twins"!!! I've finally come out with my news too. I'm due in September and everything you've said is me, word for word. Except there are things that don't appeal to me (food-wise). But the oranges--that has sooooo been one of my cravings. And the overpowering smells....ugh! Sometimes it is truly more than I can stand. I ran into the handsoap thing. Our old kind grossed me out too much. I feel like I'm just gaining and gaining, but it all looks like chub, not like baby. Can't wait for an actual baby belly. I'm sure I'll feel much cuter by then. Anyway, good luck with handling it all! Wish you were here to comiserate. I hate complaining b/c I know I'm fortunate too. I've had three good pregnancies and deliveries and three healthy children. But it's still not a time that I would consider "fun". Thankfully, its temporary. :)

Susan said...

Okay, I just tried to leave a comment but it didn't work. I'm sure as soon as I publish this one the other will show up and I'll sound like an idiot. Gotta love technology. =)

Kristen, that is so exciting!!! Congratulations! How fun that our babies will be so close to the same age. Our house has got to sell soon. There is absolutely no way I can live like this for another year, so we'll be closer to you guys pretty soon (at least I hope!!). Good luck with everything!

Kristen said...

I hope it sells soon too!!! Let us know if we can help with anything. We'll be glad to help get you up here. :)