Monday, September 28, 2009

Oh, the sweetest thing!

Day 1. I'm really going to do it. The sweetest thing I'm going to eat this week will be a piece of fruit. Nate and my visiting teaching companion said they wanted to do it with me. That makes me much more excited and much more likely to actually accomplish it. Especially since Nikki is in charge of the family night treat tonight, and that means we'll either have milkshakes or smores (made in the microwave). But I think I'll have an apple with some peanut butter.

Of course, I could never make this a long term commitment. I just want a little jumpstart as I get back into better eating and exercise habits. It was so hard waking up this morning to go running when it was so dark and cold outside. Kind of makes me want to be fat for the winter and then start exercising again next spring. But, ugh, how miserable would that be! Just going two weeks without jogging made me feel blah enough. I remember hearing someone once say that 90% of the fuel in a rocket is spent during takeoff. Only 10% is required to maintain flight. That's how exercising and healthy eating feel. It's so hard for the first little bit, but once I get into it, it doesn't take as much effort to continue. So this week I'm putting forth my extra effort, and then I know I'll feel the benefits and it won't be so hard to continue with good habits the next week. Besides, then I can eat my fat-free ice cream again. :)

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Good luck, Susan! If there is anyone who I think could do this, its you! I cheering you on. :)

Kim said...

You're my hero! Good luck! I'll just keep adding my layers. You know when you're pregnant that exercising just makes things less bad, but never better. It's hard to work out & just watch yourself get fatter!?

Kellee said...

Good luck. You always seem to accomplish what you set your mind to so I know you'll do great!

Susan said...

Okay, so thanks for your encouragement! Yesterday was pretty easy -- Nikki readily agreed to popcorn for our family night treat. But today was SO hard. Hannah was home sick and she wanted pancakes for lunch. What can you top pancakes with that isn't sugary? I thought about some fresh fruit I have frozen in the freezer, but I would really want to slice it up and soak it in sugar before I put in on pancakes. Oh well, I didn't give in! But thanks guys for thinking I can do this!

JW and Alli said...

So I'm curious to know what you are ruling out and what is ok to eat? Like how about those yummy whole wheat muffins. Those are like candy to me. Just wondering where you draw the line.