Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Swine flu

My kids are sick this week. Am I the only one that wonders if it's the swine flu when my kids start getting sick these days? Last week a girl in Nikki's class went home with the flu. I just read a report today that said that the seasonal flu hasn't hit our area yet, so anyone with the flu here is being treated as if it's the swine flu. When I was little we called it the flu when we had a stomach bug, and I know that's wrong so it's hard for me to grasp what the flu really is. Nikki brought home a cough and sore throat from school, but other than her cough she's alright. Hannah and Ryan have a fever, runny nose, cough, sore throat, headache, fatigue. How do you know if it's just a cold or if it's something more? I can't tell you how miserable Ryan was this afternoon. It broke my heart. I was almost in tears right along with him because I could do nothing to help him feel better. Well, at least if it is the swine flu I think it's supposed to pass pretty quickly. I hope so.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I have two nieces going through the same thing. Is is just a cold, is it just a virus, is it the flu and which flu is it? What a miserable time of year! I hope your crowd feels better soon.

Kellee said...

If they have a fever, it's a virus or the flu, not a cold. We've had people around us with the swine flu too. They say to assume you have it if they have the same symptoms Hannah and Ryan have. At least we haven't heard of any more deaths from it for a while. If it's just another flu, that's ok, right? Still not fun though. Hope they get well soon. Especially little Ryan!

JW and Alli said...

The only way to know if it is influenza or the H1N1 is to go to the doctor and have them do the nose swab thing and see if it is positive. The swine flu is all over here, preschool, elementary, etc... I remember when Lexi had the flu when she was 3 (she did test positive at the Dr. office) - it was a miserable 10+ days. Hope its just another virus and hope it passes quickly, too!

Kim said...

Good luck! No fun when you're sick, but it's even worse when your kids are sick!