Saturday, December 05, 2009

Handel's Messiah


Last night Nate and I went to a Messiah sing-in at the Edenton St. Methodist Church in downtown Raleigh. It was so wonderful!! I have never been to a Messiah sing-in before, but it will definitely be a new tradition we will continue. Next year I think we'll even take Hannah and Nikki. I don't have my own copy of the music score, but I will by next year. We stopped in at Krispy Kreme with some friends from church afterward, and you just can't beat a night like that. What a wonderful beginning to our Christmas season!

3 comments:

JW and Alli said...

I bet that was fun! When we lived in Roanoke our Stake performed the Messiah and JW and I were able to sing in it. I loved it! That is some very moving music, as well as beautiful and difficult. I'm jealous - you'll have to invite us up there next year for it! :)

Kellee said...

We went last year to a Messiah performance in April. That's when it was traditionally always performed (we hear it more at Christmas these days). Did you know that when they play the "Hallelujah" chorus, you're supposed to stand? The king in Handel's day when it was first performed was so moved that he stood. When the king stands, so does everyone else, and it has been tradition ever since to stand. Isn't that neat history?

When we saw it, they had deaf students sign the music as well and it was soooo amazing! I had tears in my eyes several times as they acted/signed praises to Jesus.

grandmalinda said...

We did that for the first time this year also. Hey I need your current address, we are sending our cards. I love your family picture on your blog. Have a Merry Christmas, and if you could please e-mail me your address I would really appreciate it. Love you guys!