Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snow Weekend!

When snow was forecasted for this weekend, I have to admit that I didn't really believe it would happen. However, I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. And it came on a Saturday when Nate didn't have to worry about working at all. Nice!
Poor Ryan, we don't have gloves for him. He was happy outside for a few minutes, but he didn't want to keep the gloves on that we gave him. When he got his fingers in the snow, it didn't take him long to start crying. Then he did a face plant pretty soon after that. But he wasn't happy to be inside while everyone else was outside, either.
Nikki and Hannah had fun outside even though we still haven't acquired anything that will serve as a suitable sled. We tried a trash bag this year -- didn't work.
Notice the plastic grocery bags on Hannah's feet? That's what we used to do when we were growing up. It seems silly to have snowboots for kids when you live in NC and may or may not get snow at all in a given year. Somehow, wearing grocery bags on our feet just seemed a little different now that we are city dwellers. I really felt like a redneck.

We also made snowcream, but I didn't get a picture of that. It was really good, though. Even Nate was impressed I could do that. FYI -- food coloring doesn't really work too well in snow cream because the coloring freezes before it can spread evenly throughout the cream.

Church was cancelled today because of the snow. We had our own little primary sharing and singing time. It was a lot of fun, and Nate really enjoyed not having to contain Ryan for 3 hours of church.

We got this art book from the library the other day, and with all of the extra time we've had we have tried a few projects out. Here is one that everyone ended up having a lot of fun with. You start by filling a blank page with dots. Then you connect pairs of dots to make different kinds of lines in all directions, some curvy, some straight, make some triangles, squares, circles, whatever. Then you try to find a funny creature somewhere in all the shapes you have made. Erase all the extra lines and then add in whatever details you want. This is my camel ice skating while flying a kite, although Nate says it doesn't look anything like a camel.
Here is Nate's. It's sideways -- I forgot to rotate it before I uploaded it, but he says it's a fire-breathing dragon with wings and a bat flying behind it. What a boy picture. :)
Nikki's girl reading a book. I thought she did a great job.
And Hannah's frog prince. I have no idea how she found a frog out of her lines. I never would have seen it.
It was a lot of fun doing it together.

4 comments:

Mike and Sherrie said...

Thats very good and like just like the picture.

LydI

Kellee said...

We got a lot of snow too. I'll post later maybe...too tired right now :)

Kim said...

Love the pictures! Sorry I spelled Nikki's name wrong in my last comment. That is the sweetest picture where Ryan's little nose is pressed against the glass. For the record, I don't invest in snow boots either....the only reason my kids get them is if they're in a hand-me-down bag. Wyatt has 2 pairs at the moment. Jayden is squeezing into her too small snowboarding boots from last year. Stellar mother, I am!

JW and Alli said...

We enjoyed the snow, too! I talked to Sherrie yesterday and it seems we are 3 peas in a pod - we all had primary at home with our kids!!! Love the pics.