Tuesday, January 05, 2010

If I were an animal, I would be ...

As I have thought about what changes I want to make during this next new year, I have also thought about the changes that came about in 2009 for me. I think I can say it was a year of progress. I did learn a lot, and I accomplished much of what I set out to do at the beginning of the year. It makes me excited to continue that progress throughout this year, too.

Have you ever played that get-to-know-you game where everyone goes around and says "If I were an animal I would be ...", and then you have to explain why? I used to always say I would be a sloth. Sitting still and sleeping and eating sounded pretty good to me. But if you ever see the term slothful in the scriptures, it is not used in a good context. For example Matthew 25:26 "Thou wicked and slothful servant" or Proverbs 15:19 "The way of the slothful man is as an hedge of thorns: but the way of the righteous is made plain." So, I decided I don't want to be a sloth anymore. I think I made some headway in 2009 in being less slothful. I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't just LOVE to take a nap, or when I didn't dread getting out of bed in the morning. I have always been so amazed how Nate can just get right up when the alarm goes off. Well, a few months ago we realized that I have become the one who turns the alarm off and hops out of bed first. I don't know when exactly that changed, but I have come to believe it is, in part at least, because I have been exercising and eating well fairly regularly this past year. I've never regularly exercised for any significant period of time before, and if I'm putting the effort into exercising it just seems kind of silly to fill up with chocolate and ice cream. So, if the scriptures say we shouldn't be slothful, what should I be? Proverbs 6:6 says, "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise." And I do feel like I have become pretty busy. There is so much to learn and do. This year I want to learn how to knit, and Hannah's piano teacher told me she would teach me how to sew if I can get a sewing machine.

So, I'm excited that it is 2010. I plan to stay busy. I plan to learn a lot. I plan to accomplish many good things. I'm sure Ryan would appreciate it if I start by getting up and getting him out of the crib.

2 comments:

Mike and Sherrie said...

I've never considered you slothful in any way! You are a wonderful mother and great sister-in-law and I'm still in awe of your homemade Christmas. -Sherrie

Kellee said...

An ant. I like it. I always said I'd be a cat for the same reasons you wanted to be a sloth :)

Sherrie's right. I never saw you as slothful either. An occasional nap is okay, right?