Wednesday, January 06, 2010

To Make a Piggy Bank

This was one of the Christmas presents I gave the girls. I thought they would have more fun making it than just getting it, so I wrapped up the instructions on how to do it.

1. Spread newspaper over your table. Tear several other strips of newspaper. Blow up balloon. Mix glue mixture (1/2 c. flour, 1 T. salt, 1 c. water) in a bowl. Dip the paper strips in the glue mix and cover the balloon completely with two layers.

2. Tie a piece of yarn to the knot of the balloon and allow to dry by hanging it up.

3. Cut the paper towl tube into 5 short pieces and tape them on for legs and nose. Add cardboard ears.

4. Cover with one more layer of paper-mache. (Whew, this is hard work!)

Hang to dry again.

5. Tear white paper towels into pieces. Dip the paper towel pieces in mixture and cover so that no newspaper shows. Let dry.

6. Pop the balloon and throw away. Cut a slit in the top to drop in coins. Paint the pig.

The finished product!

6 comments:

Kellee said...

I'm lovin all the different hats they were wearing :) My kids would love one of those too. Thanks for the instructions.

julie said...

When did you become a craft queen. You are amazing! Are you homeschooling too? The pigs are just beautiful.

Kim said...

I love the hats, too. Wyatt would dig it! I made a pinata like that one time & it WAS hard work. There piggy banks turned out great. I'll be sure to show this to Jayden...when I'm ready....:)

Kristen said...

That is such a great idea! I love hannah's boggin in the last picture. Adorable (the hat, the girls and the bank!)

Susan said...

You notice that I made the girls make them instead of doing it myself -- that's because I am most definitely not a craft queen!

Some of those hats are our tea party hats, and I made that last one Hannah is wearing.

This took a few days because each layer had to dry, but it was fun. We did it over the Christmas break -- no, I'm not homeschooling.

Shellby said...

What a great project! And way cuter than anything you can buy in the store.