Saturday, June 25, 2011

Dressing Your Truth

 A few months ago a friend introduced me to the Dressing Your Truth program. First of all, let me just give the disclaimer that it's an expensive program and the lady who created it is quite the saleswoman. I know many women who are already comfortable with their style and wouldn't need to invest in the fashion part of it. I do think her energy profiling would be interesting and beneficial for anyone. But for me, even though I cringed at paying the money and was even embarrassed to admit I had paid for it at first (maybe I still am a little bit), I am really glad I did it. Here's why:

  • I've never known what my style should be. Should I go for trendy, classic elegance, earthy, etc.? I just didn't know what was me.
  • I've never been able to shop by myself. I always wanted someone else to come with me and tell me what looked good, what colors I should pick, and since I don't live with Julie anymore I just couldn't do it on my own. I would always come home from hours of shopping with maybe one shirt that I would end up hating after wearing it once or twice.
  • When I would try something on and it didn't fit, I would think that if only I could lose a little weight, or if only I was taller then I would be able to find something cute to wear. The problem was always my body.
  • My hair? I can't even begin to describe the drama I have gone through with my naturally crazy hair. I remember coming home from getting my hair cut most of my life and crying in the bathroom as I looked in the mirror. I would always tell the stylist that it was fine because what can you do at the point when they hand you the mirror at the end if you really don't like it? One time I actually gave the mirror back to the lady three times, and finally her coworker beside her stepped over and finished it. I didn't tip her at all, but I still felt bad because it wasn't all her fault when she had just my hair to work with. A couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that I was just going to have to straighten it for the rest of my life, but it was still hard to find the right style for straight hair on me.
  • Makeup? I would go with mostly just black eyeliner, powder, and lip gloss or chapstick. How could I begin to decide what color to use for eye shadow, blush, or lipstick?
  • I had no jewelry besides a couple of small studs and a few thin silver chains up until this past year when I decided I should do jewelry. I had a home party and got a few different things, but it was so hard to know what to pick. Then I had to try to match what I got with the outfits I have -- ugh!
Okay, is that enough complaining? I was completely lost in the fashion world, and I think the real problem with it is that I blamed myself for it. I felt inadequate. So, along comes Dressing Your Truth and just cleared up every one of those issues I just listed. I went shopping at a thrift store the weekend after I got this program, and I had so much fun! I've never liked shopping at thrift stores because it takes forever to go through the racks just to find one or two gems. Not this time -- I quickly scanned the racks for my colors, then checked the style lines, the fabrication, patterns, texture and found several things very quickly that I wanted to try on. Most of it worked really well, and the stuff that didn't fit I didn't worry about. I didn't feel like my body had to be different to find clothes that worked for me. It was stress-free, and I don't think I've ever felt like that while shopping. I found some great shoes, too. :)

Hair -- well, DYT also addressed how to do curly hair. I thought I would give it a try, and it was pretty amazing. I got called Shirley Temple again for the first time in a long time. People at church thought I had permed my hair because they had never seen my curls before. :) I actually like my curls now. I don't think I've ever been able to say that before. I still need to get some highlights to cover up the grey that is starting to creep in and just give my face a brighter look.

So, that's the fashion and appearance difference it made for me, and it does make a big difference to be comfortable with your appearance. But it's interesting because it addresses a lot of emotional things as well. The program is kind of like a glorified personality test, but it's better than any personality test I've seen before. She calls it energy profiling, and it takes into account all aspects of ourselves -- our facial features, skin type, thought processes, behavior, mannerisms, etc.

It turns out that I'm a Type 1, which is a bright, animated person. My movement is upward and light. At first, I passed right by the Type 1's looking for what else I could be because they are described as the life of the party. I've always been the tag-along, not the life of the party. But everything else about a Type 1 fits. I think it's been kind of liberating to look at some of my natural tendencies, take the judgment off of them, and just accept that this is who I am. We all have strengths and weaknesses to work with. There is nothing wrong with me just because I can't concentrate on all of Nate's detailed explanations where he repeats himself a couple of times to make sure he thoroughly gets his point across. My mind travels to three or four different places and then comes back to him just as he is finishing up his thought. It's also nice for him to understand that I'm not bored or ignoring him -- we just think differently.

Type 1's like to have fun and be spontaneous and random. Chuck Little is the perfect Type 1 in my book. He is so fun to talk to. He brightens up any room he is in, and life is just more fun around Chuck. I've thought about Mom, wondering what type she would have been, and I think she was probably a Type 1 that was forced to live life as a Type 3. I think that often made her feel tired. I think I have tried to live like a Type 4 because I didn't want to come across as silly. I didn't really grow up in a Type 1 family, and I was very concerned about what my older siblings thought about me. So, I need to learn to have more fun.

Anyway, Kellee did a better job on her blog writing about the personality aspects of this. My post is already too long, and I can't keep my mind on it anymore!

15 comments:

Kellee said...

That's interesting you didn't think we grew up in a type 1 family. I always think of the memories of the spontaneous things and fun, fun, fun! How many families have a mom who encourages her son and daughter to pin down their dad in his chair with a sheet and pour water over his head... just for fun? Or a family where the dad starts doing all kinds of animal calls while doing dishes and then everyone else joins in? Remember family prayers ending in laughter? We had to be serious too, but my fondest memories were those crazy moments.

I love your before and after picture! I can't wait to get products and a diffuser to enjoy my curl for once. I've never known how to do my curls either until that video. My hair was always thick enough I could hide the curl underneath. So glad you posted your thoughts!

Susan said...

Well, hmmm. I guess that's true. Maybe I just look at how the Littles have a higher energy than we did. Maybe we're just a little more subdued Type 1s. :) I'll have to think some more about it.

JW and Alli said...

That explains the new jewelry, makeup, clothes, etc... I just assumed it was the big city coming out in you! I do have to say that I think you still look very pretty in your first picture. I like your hair both ways - and I think it would be cool to choose straight one day, curly the next! Sometimes I wish my natural curl hadn't gone away with pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

you did a much better job of explaining than I could! I am so excited for August!!!

Brigette Little said...

OK - I actually read more about this today, since you and Kelle piqued my interest. I am most definitely a Type 1, too and share many of your feelings about clothes shopping. What did you look for when you went? I'm assuming color.

Susan said...

OK Brigette -- if this comment gets too long I'll have to make a post out of it. Most of all is just remembering that Type 1s have an upward, light, animated, buoyant movement, so our clothes should also fit that description (same would be true for hair, accessories, makeup, etc.).

The five important elements to look for in clothes are:
Design line -- lines created from any parts of stars, circles, or hearts. Pointed or rounded shapes live V-necks or scoop necks. Skirts that flare are great. Mostly just staying away from squares and rectangles.

Texture -- It should feel light and crisp, not plush or velvety, which would be too heavy.

Fabrication -- The fabric should hold itself up and feel light and fresh, as opposed to being drapey or too stiff.

Pattern -- small or medium patterns that create a random, high movement. Up to a medium contrast in the color combinations (nothing drastic or bold like zebra prints). It's great if the pattern has the animated shapes of circles and stars.

Chroma -- Type 1s go for tints, which is just a pure color with white added to it. You can wear any color (except black) as long as it is a tint. The substitute black for a Type 1 would be a dark chocolate brown.

The metals for a Type 1 are bright, shiny gold -- which I always tried to avoid before. I was really surprised that I like the bits of gold jewelry that I have gotten so far.

Kellee said...

The dark brown and the gold jewelry is the only thing I disagree with her. I don't like brown on me at all! Makes me pale. And I like silver much better than gold for earrings and necklaces. Other than that, I think she's right on.

Brigette Little said...

Awesome - thanks! I"m going to try that out!

Susan said...

Ha, Kellee! Your silver comment is typical for a type 1. :) I still have some earrings and a watch that I just can't get rid of. But after wearing all gold and pearls and the cut glass (or whatever you call the colored beads and things) for a while, I find that when I try wearing silver now I usually end up taking it off before I even finish getting ready in the morning. I hated gold on me before. It almost made me turn off her video when she said that.

And you can't wear just any brown -- you really think you would feel pale in dark chocolate?

And Brigette, I'd love to hear how it works for you!

Kellee said...

I just stay away from any dark colors like black and brown all together. I love pink and baby blue way more!

I prefer pearls over gold or silver anyway :)

Kristen said...

That is so interesting! I've known several people who have done this and loved it. I can't tell you how tempted I am to try it. Although I have to agree that I think your before AND after are both beautiful. :) I think a lot of it, though, is the confidence to feel like you're dressing the best way for you.

Susan said...

Kristen, I have to say that you are one of those people I think already have a great style. You look great all the time, and it just seems like you naturally know what works for you. I have to admit, though, that I've thought of you and tried to figure out what type you are. :) You look so good with your really dark hair, and you look great when you wear black, so I keep wondering if you're a type 4. When I get my book back from my sister, I'll let you borrow it. Then you can tell me what type you think you are -- for free! :)

Kristen said...

Oh, you are so sweet! :) I do feel like as I've gotten older, I have a better sense of what works for me. I think sometimes before I would wear things that were "stylish" but just were not meant for me. I still don't always get it right, but I have a better sense of what things to pass on. :) I would LOVE to look at the book and see what type I am. Just from the blurbs on the website, I had tentatively leaned toward a #2.

JW and Alli said...

So Susan, I looked at the website. I wasn't the least bit surprised that this originated from Utah! In the SL valley the fashion pressure is really on and I can see this program making the $ there. But the thing that I thought was great, was like Kristen mentioned - the confidence that this program gives women. You do seem much more confident in your style and you do look great. I was complaining about my body (prego body's aren't that awesome, remember?) and JW said, "maybe YOU need that program!" I guess I'll just keep my weight gain complaining to myself. And although I'm not a type 1 (I'm not that nice of a person to be a type 1)- black is NOT good on me and dark chocolate brown I love to wear. :)

Susan said...

Alli, you are another person I want to read the book because I want to know what type you are. I think you're either a 3 or 4, and I'm leaning more to the 3 side. :)

I think what I like most about it is the idea of expressing in our outward appearance who we are on the inside. That makes fashion seem less shallow and about painting on beauty, and makes it more about expressing the beauty everyone already has. I like that concept.