Monday, September 18, 2006

little sayings

The girls have just been saying the cutest things lately.

This morning when I woke up Hannah, she asked me why she had to get up. I told her it was a school day, and she said, "School again?!" And today is only Monday.

Nikki has gotten into the habit of adding "you remember?" onto the end of almost anything she says. "Mom, I want apple juice, you remember?" or "We're going to the library, remember?" It's funny to me, but it sounds kind of rude and I hope she doesn't say it to her teacher at school.

Another frequent saying Nikki has begun (although it's not that cute), whenever Hannah leaves for school, is to ask, "what am I going to do?" Everyday walking back to the house from the bus stop I get to hear this one.

Then there was one afternoon that Hannah came home from school and with the most serious face and voice she told me that she now says bookbag and not backpack. That was kind of interesting to me because I grew up saying bookbag, but I guess no one else in my high school in Utah called it that, so it has been a long time since I have said it. Is it a North Carolina thing to say bookbag? I'm figuring it is, and I like the idea of passing on another small piece of NC heritage that will always make her feel a connection to her roots (okay, so that's stretching things, but she still made me smile).

And of course I love hearing their little southern accents. Nikki's teacher's name is Mrs. Lynn, and she pronounces it, "Miss Ly-unn."

1 comment:

Kristen said...

i think bookbag is southern. i used to call it bookbag, but most everyone up here (since many, if not most, are not native north carolinians) call them backpacks. i mistakenly called elise's a bookbag (out of habit) and she was quick to inform me that it was a backpack. it made me a little sad, because i love the nc heritage thing too. but fortunately i think her southern accent more than makes up for it. =) it will be hard to ever lose that!

ian does that "remember" thing too, only his is "remember that mom?" kids are so cute!