Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Living in luxury

We made a major purchase yesterday. Lowe's had a riding lawn mower on clearance, and I all but jumped to get one. I'm in the middle of a family finance class from BYU, and one of the principles the professor teaches is that spending money on things we value leads to feelings of satisfaction and accomplishment. And conversely, money spent on things we don't value leads to feelings of frustration and futility. So, we must value something about a riding lawn mower because we have definitely been satisfied and even excited. First of all, I'm excited that we got it on clearance and didn't have to pay the amount we thought we might. Then, we just cut our whole yard, including pushing the ditch bank and around the trees, in about an hour and a half, which has taken us all summer just pushing it at least 3 1/2 hrs. That was so wonderful!! So maybe it's my time that I value so much. Not to mention that the job was a whole lot easier! Yes, I am an American who is always looking to add a little pleasure and convenience to my life, and I am very grateful that I can do more than just worry about surviving from day to day. We are so blessed.

I was skimming through the owner's manual that came with it and came across a sentence that I thought was pretty funny for a LAWN mower. "WARNING: This unit is equipped with an internal combustion engine and should not be used on or near . . . grass-covered land unless the engine's exhaust system is equipped with a spark arrester meeting applicable local or state laws." Soooo, where else would I use it if not on my grass-covered front yard?

1 comment:

Kristen said...

i liked the analysis of our feelings on spending money. i've never thought of it in such concrete terms, but it's so true, isn't it?

i love warnings! that's hilarious. i loved one that came with my blow dryer. "never use while sleeping". if only i could figure out a way! or the one that came with my parents gas grill, "do not use near people or animals." just how exactly would they propose someone use one, then?