Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Organ lessons

I'm so excited about my organ lessons! I had my second one yesterday, and I can't wait to get to the organ to practice again. I'm taking an online organ class, and the lessons are required as a part of it. At the first lesson, my instructor just talked and talked and told me more about the history of the organ than I will ever remember, and he played some things to show me how the organ works, gave me some assignments, etc. Yesterday was the first time he actually listened to me play. I started off by destroying a simple hymn that was only 2 lines. It got a little better after that, but I feel like a kindergartener. I know I am a beginner, but it's different now that I actually feel like one. You would think that with 10 years of piano lessons and a few years of filling in on the organ at church services I would have a head start on this, but it is a whole new ballgame trying to play the organ the way it supposed to be done. It is so fun to hear my instructor go off and blow out the chapel with these huge hymn endings. I can't wait to be able to do that. Maybe I'm a nerd to be so excited about something like this, but it is going to be so fun to practice and eventually be able to call myself an organist.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

it is a little overwhelming to feel like a beginner, but how exciting!!! i think it feels great to really learn something. and you have the talent there already, so you'll be fine. i'm sure its nice to have an "excuse" to take lessons.