Monday, January 01, 2007

Miscellaneous

Hannah told me tonight that she thought we should get to bed on time because she was really tired today. We have been having a lot of fun this holiday season, but I think we are all ready for our normal routine to kick back in.

Nikki was playing a game on the computer today where she was painting a picture and had to mix the primary colors together to get the other colors of the rainbow. I was painting upstairs in our bonus room and listened as she asked Nate which colors to put together. He was watching football and not really listening to her. She asked, "What makes orange?" He said, "Red and white." A couple of minutes later she said indignantly, "No! That's pink. What makes orange?!" After finally getting that one right, he messed up the green and light blue and lost all credibility with her. I had to laugh when she finally came to the stairs and said, "Mom, what makes purple?"

We're almost done painting our bonus room. Nate and the girls picked out the color for the walls, and I think they did a really good job. It's called "coconut milk" -- just a light, neutral tan. I'm going to look at carpet this week. It's really getting fun now that it's almost complete.

We went to see Charlotte's Web in the theater today with some friends. I thought it was really good. I was surprised that Charlotte was so ugly, but then she is a spider. She just didn't look that bad in the cartoon. I have a huge phobia of spiders, so I was really glad to know the story beforehand and not have to freak out about her because she was a good spider. A lady at the library had told me that it was kind of a scary movie for little kids, but our girls were fine with it. Maybe if they hadn't seen the cartoon the spider could have been freaky.

Nikki is still having ear problems, but tonight a lot of stuff finally came out of one ear. I found out that a friend at church works for an ear, nose, and throat doctor. I think I'll let JW take another look, and if it's still too hard for him to get out I'll make her an appointment for them to suction it out. I'm starting to wonder if having that wax in there for so long has affected her speech. She has a hard time with a lot of her consonants, and if she isn't hearing very well then hopefully her pronunciations would get better if her ears were clear. It's hard to know when to worry and when to let it go.

Happy New Year! I'm still trying to set some goals for 2007. I guess I need to get on the ball now that it's already here.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

i know what you mean about routine. the repeated late nights are kind of getting to us all. but you're right. it HAS been fun!

i love the colors thing. that could totally have happened at our house. =)

i bet the room looks nice. its fun to have a project like that. it seems like once you start one, you notice lots of other little ones you'd like to do as well.

i want to see charlotte's web, too. i had heard that very thing about the spider. my kids really like the cartoon (espcially elise), so i was hoping this one would be good, too.

hope the ear thing goes well. its hard when you know they're not feeling 100%. merry grace has a bad cold and it makes me sad. i may have to take her in to the dr. today. poor baby.

cory and i talked about some family goals last night. its fun to have some things to work toward.

happy new year to you too!