Thursday, January 18, 2007

School day

Today I volunteered at Hannah's school as a proctor in a 5th grade class for their end of nine weeks testing. It was so interesting to watch the students. They were all behaving really well, except for one girl who kept snatching some snack out of her desk until she saw me looking at her. I couldn't help but give her a smile. She knew she was caught, and that was the end of it. I was amazed at how much of a difference there was in how long it took some of them to take the test. A couple of kids were finished pretty quickly, most of them took a little longer, but there were three students who took FOREVER. One girl could just not concentrate one bit. She would read a problem, look around, play with her hair, tap her pencil, and finally look back at her paper. I can't imagine what a struggle school must be for someone like that. I almost wanted to cheer for her when she finished.

I was finished in that class just as Hannah was going to lunch, so I decided to stay and eat with her. I just love the kids in her class. They all have something to say to me everytime I come in. I have never heard any of them say anything mean to each other. It's like they are all good friends. And I couldn't help feeling so pleased with Hannah. Her teacher's assistant said to me, "If we could only have a class full of students like Hannah!" And then at the lunch table one of the little girls was telling me that everybody always wants to play with Hannah, and yesterday one little girl started crying because Hannah was already playing with someone else. Then Hannah breaks into her story and says, "Well, maybe we could all just play something together." I guess it's sad that I was surprised at how nice she was, but I was really proud of her.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

you should be! what a great girl. don't you just want to hug her?

i had a conversation with elise that reminded me of this. several of the girls in her class were talking about who was their "number 1" friend and so on. elise didn't want to number them. she said, "i think we should just ALL be number one friends!" i don't ever want them to grow out of that way of thinking!

Susan said...

Good for Elise! You're right, if they will only keep that kind of attitude they will do well in the years to come. After all of the wondering if we're doing an okay job parenting our kids, it is so nice to hear them come up with those kinds of ideas. I guess there really are a few things getting through!