Sunday, January 21, 2007

Medicine drama

This has been a winter of one sickness after another in our house. The girls have both recently had strep throat and have been on antibiotics for it. Hannah got better, but just a couple of days after Nikki finished her medicine she was sick again. So yesterday she got some stronger stuff, and she did not appreciate the fact that it was white instead of pink. Before she took it I had her smell it because it had a pretty good orange smell to it. What a mistake! She did NOT want to take it. She ran around the house, hid in the closet, said her throat didn't hurt anymore, decided she never wanted to go to school again or have any friends come over, anything she could come up with as to why she didn't need her medicine. When I finally got it just to her tongue, she threw up. I felt bad for her because it is so miserable to go through that and she couldn't stop until her stomach was completely empty, but at the same time I was so mad because she made herself do it. There is no way it could have gagged her that quickly. Nobody ever flavored my medicine when I was a kid, and I certainly didn't throw up on my mother! Later that night she promised she would take it this morning after breakfast. I left for church this morning while she was crying at the table and Nate was trying to convince her to swallow it really quickly and drink something after it so she could go play. When I got home, he said she eventually took it and then said she thought it tasted really yummy. After all that drama last night, it now tastes good.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

ooooohhhh that sounds like elise. she hates medicine. she's a little better now that she's gotten older, but as a toddler it was terrible. fortunately she didn't get sick very much when she was little. she just has a hard time with it. i remember having a hard time with children's tylenol. the chewable tablets would make me gag, so i never wanted to take them. my parents would pull every trick in the book to get me to take them. but to no avail. i would rather have a fever than take it.

ian, on the other hand, loves medicine, especially tylenol. you an never tell if he is actually sick or not b/c he wants medicine just for the heck of it. i'm not sure which way i prefer....

hope your kids feel better. we've had that kind of winter too. one thing seems to flow right into another. nothing horrible, just cold and viruses. but still.... everyone says its b/c elise started school. i don't know, but we sure have had more sickness this year!