Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Out of the mouth of babes

Isn't it amazing what little children can teach us? I have noticed how easily Hannah and Nikki forgive. They get upset with each other, and they get upset with their parents but never for an extended period of time. Today Hannah couldn't understand something Nikki was trying to tell her and got frustrated and yelled, "I don't know what you said!" Nikki burst into tears because Hannah yelled at her, and so Hannah gave her a hug. Nikki stopped crying immediately, and they went on their way playing together. It made me pause to see how quickly both of them got over it. Granted, it was a small thing, but they both had negative feelings toward each other that they were able to put aside with only a simple hug. Hannah also shows that quality whenever Nikki has colored on one of her art projects. She is really upset when that happens, but usually she'll end up saying something like, "Well, now I'll just have to make another one. You can have this Nikki."

As I was watching them today, I got to thinking about how I react to them when they upset me. It's not as easy for me to let it go. I remember one incident not too long ago where Hannah put up a stink about something when she got home from school. I don't remember what she did (or wouldn't do) that frustrated me, but I was cooking supper in the kitchen a little later and she came in with a picture she had drawn for me. She was so sweet and I was still feeling upset with her. When she said it was for me because she had drawn me as the beautiful queen and her as the princess, I was really humbled. Where I had held on to a grudge, she had let it go and was much happier than I was. What a privilege to be her mother. I am so happy that we have these precious little ones in our home.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

what a great lesson! it was a reminder for me too--the lesson itself & how much we can learn from our kids. when our dog died last summer, the kids gained such a simple faith and testimony in the resurrection that it has touched me so much. just the other night, ian was saying that he hoped Jesus would be resurrected so we could see Milo again. Elise, without any hesitation, said, "Ian, he WILL be. You don't have to hope. He WILL be resurrected so we can see Milo." Like you said, it was an awakening for me to be reminded of how simple the Gospel principles are and how easy they are to believe in.