Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Whatever I feel like talking about

So I have almost felt like myself again yesterday and today. Last night I actually cooked dinner, and miracle of all miracles, I did the dishes. Okay, I'll admit that there were a couple of things that needed to be washed by hand that I just left in the sink like they needed to soak, but the point is that Nate didn't have to clean the kitchen last night. And today, I felt good enough to go grocery shopping. I opened the Goldfish while we were shopping, and the girls were more than generous in sharing with me (maybe I was really sharing with them). I'm still hungry, but I have just felt like a new person these past couple of days. I hope it lasts!

On the Monday evening news they reported the funerals of a former Indonesian dictator and a Palestinian leader, and then they announced the death of President Hinckley. I just thought how glad I am that I had been influenced by President Hinckley's leadership rather than those two other men. What a stark contrast between them. And when I heard about President Hinckley's passing I think I mostly felt relieved for him. What an enormous weight he has carried on his shoulders for so long, and he did it without his wife for these past 4 years. I remember his daughter Virginia Pearce telling how after Sister Hinckley died, for a while he slept on the couch because he couldn't sleep in their bed without her. He is such a wonderful man, and I am so happy that he is now able to rest from the cares of this world.

We went to the dentist earlier this week, and Mike has this book in the waiting room of his office that is called something like, "The Book of Disgusting, Gross, Sick, and Totally Cool Pictures of the Mouth." Something like that anyway, and it really was a cool book. Even the girls were completely interested in it. It had these huge blown up pictures of all kinds of gross teeth, and then a couple of nice shots showing how nice your teeth really can look if you'll just floss and brush. The ones that got me the most were the ones with braces. I couldn't believe the amount of junk built up around the braces. So nasty. I usually think that those decayed teeth pictures only happen to people who don't own a toothbrush, but these pictures made me think that it really doesn't take very long for it to pile up if it can look like that just while braces are on. The pictures really made an impact on the girls because even Nikki agreed yesterday that she didn't need any Sprite because too much sugar is bad for your teeth.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I'm glad you've had a couple of good days. After a while of not feeling well it, its hard to remember what "normal" feels like. :)

I liked your thoughts on President Hinckley. He is such a good man.

Maybe my kids need to check out that book. Sounds like it made a good impression. That couldn't hurt around our house, I'm sure. :)