Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April 30th

It's been twelve years today since my mom and dad and Granddaddy White died in a car accident. Twelve years? I can't decide if it feels like longer than that or shorter. It's just the way it is. So much has changed in those twelve years, in my extended family as well as for me individually. Just this past Sunday I was looking at some family history on the computer and Hannah asked me what I was doing. So I got out some old photo albums and tried to show her pictures of the people whose names were on the pedigree chart. I had a lot of fun telling her about my parents and grandparents. They really were fun people. I have a picture of Granddaddy in the middle of one of his really loud laughs, and I could just pictures him in my mind and hear that laugh. There were also like three pictures of mom dressed up in costumes -- not on Halloween. I don't even know what she did that for, but she got people laughing. We also looked at a picture of one our Sunday dinners at Hayes. You would think it was Thanksgiving, but it was just our regular Sunday lunch with Grandma & Granddaddy. There was some venison and gravy on the table, and I don't think I've had that the way he cooked it in twelve years. It looked so good. Then there are the pictures of dad. I have a few of him with hair, which makes it obvious where the curly hair in our family comes from, but I don't remember him that way -- just bald looking for a toboggan because his head was cold. Hannah asked what cancer was, and it made me so grateful that Nate and I are healthy. What must that have been like for mom and dad to try to explain to their kids that he was sick. I was so little that it was just a way of life for me. My dad was a little different from everyone else's dads, but that's just how it was. I would love to hear him tell another story. Anyway, Nikki needs some attention so I guess it's time to stop reminiscing. Back to life in the present.

4 comments:

Kellee said...

I've been so busy cleaning for tonight that I haven't had time to be sad about it. I haven't forgotten, of course. Were you looking at a picutre of mom as a pig and another one as a cat? If you were, those were for the Pig Party and Cat Party that all the married/moms in the family did together. I never got to do
one :(

I sure miss laughing with them!

Kristen said...

I'm always amazed by the trials some people have to go through, and how well they seem to manage. Not that it is always an easy road, but that they weather the storm with grace. You are definitely one of those people!

I think its wonderful that your kids are learning their genealogy. I've tried to talk to my kids about my grandfathers who have passed away. This past weekend, my brother was here with us and Ian said something about "Grandpa Arnold" and Ethan was amazed that he knew who that was. I haven't really shown them a lot of pictures, though, and I need to do that. Sometimes it just tells more than the stories alone can do.

Susan said...

Thanks Kristen. I look at other people's trials and think the same thing. I'm grateful for my life, and feel so blessed when I see how hard things can be for other people.

And Kellee, I think you're right that one of those pictures was for the cat party, but there was another time that she dressed up like a cat to go visiting. She invited me to go with her, but I was too embarrassed. She was so crazy.

The 30th isn't really a sad day for me, I just always feel like remembering a little bit. And I believe it isn't sad because of the temple. I really felt a whole layer of grief just dissolve when we were all sealed. I remember a feeling of such incredible loneliness that first year that I haven't felt since we went to the temple that next year.

Kim said...

Just know that I thought of each of you on that day. I can't believe it's been twelve years! I think that was such a blessing that you were able to be sealed on the year anniversary...what a great memory to help sooth a hard one. Love ya!