Monday, June 16, 2008

What a dad!

We had a great Father's Day yesterday. I know the girls and I did, and I think Nate did, too, but he wouldn't complain even if he didn't. We gave him cinnamon rolls in bed for breakfast and cooked a pot roast that he requested for supper. When he got home from church the girls had the living room covered with games they had set up. They wanted to have a party for him, and I thought it was cute because they came up with activities that they wanted to play with him, rather than what he would want to do. Actually, I think one of the reasons he is such a great dad is because they really believed he would rather play with them than take a nap. When he is home, he gives them all the time that he can. I love that. One of the speakers in church yesterday talked about how his role as a father has changed over the years as his children have grown, and it made me think about how Nate has changed as a father over the years, too. On Saturday I was in the shower when Nikki tried to yell something to me through the door. I told her I couldn't hear her so she should go ask her dad. She opened the door and yelled, "But he always says NO!" I thought that was so funny. Between the two of us Nate is much more likely to say yes than I am. But he has gotten better at enforcing the limits he sets, and I think they respond to him in better ways because of that. They love being with him, and so do I.

When we first moved to North Carolina two and a half years ago, it felt like Nate was put through a refiner's fire. So much came on his shoulders at one time. After being in his new job for a couple of months he realized that his new bosses were great salesmen but very poor managers, and that left him with lots of new and uncomfortable tasks that he was given little to no direction to complete. It hurt my heart to see him struggling so much and I couldn't do anything for him. But he persevered and was successful through all that he faced, and I think he learned a lot about himself in the process. He came out much more self-assured and confident, and I think it was a time of spiritual strengthening as well. I am so happy for him for all of the growth he has made, and I just hope I can keep up with him.


One of the activities the girls wanted to do for his party was play with the flubber we made the day before. Here are a couple of pictures of that.

Notice Nate's flubber in midair.

4 comments:

Kellee said...

I hope Joe had a good Father's Day. I ended up leaving Sacrament early to take Karoline to the doctor for a bad bladder infection. Joe got homemade cards we all made for him and a chocolate cake with mint frosting (his favorite). Nate always sounds like such a great dad!! I can't wait to try your flubber recipe!

Susan said...

Poor Karoline! Hope she's feeling better soon. And you definitely need to try the flubber. Your kids will love it!

Brigette Little said...

Sounds like fun! I love to see how excited the kids get about honoring their dad and the things they think of. So cute!

Kim said...

One of my favorite gifts Jayden gave to Josh was a little tie she cut out of some army-print hair ribbon she had. It is so fun to see how excited they get! We're still rather new at this having a dad thing & we LOVE it!